Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 3.5 Sport AWD. The vehicle has been a joy to own so far, until 5,500km, when i noticed the steering had suddenly slackened.

By this i mean that the 'play' in the wheel when turning has increased and when turning corners the car is noticeably taking longer turns of the wheel. I understand that the vehicle will go through a period of bedding in and will loosen up so to speak. However this change has been sudden.

To add to this, my g/f owns the identical model with 10,000km. Her steering is still the same tight crisp response that I had until 2 weeks ago.

The vehicle had its 6000km first service on Saturday. I asked them to pay particular attention to the issue, which i described in detail in a handwritten note to the mechanics.
Their response was that they could find nothing wrong and in fact the 'response was very good.'

However i am not satisfied with this and my dealership has offered to have the chief mechanic drive my vehicle and my girlfriend's to compare, as the difference is evident.
Does anyone have experience in this area or could provide insight as to what would cause this? Any technical understanding would help.

I also want to figure out what my options are if I’m still not happy with the response from my dealership, should they continue insisting nothing is wrong and it fits within their margins of acceptability.

Cheers

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (canderson @ Jul 11 2010, 11:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340904
Any issues of wandering once you've got the thing pointed the way you want it?
A very slight veer to the right, which is more or less corrected with a nitro topup for the front right at the weekend.

The steering has zero feel to it though with no weight.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (stuabroad @ Jul 12 2010, 08:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340978
A very slight veer to the right, which is more or less corrected with a nitro topup for the front right at the weekend.

The steering has zero feel to it though with no weight.
The reason I ask is because there's a large difference between "lack of feel" and "slack" as you described it, which would seem to indicate lack of response. You say it has zero feel .. does the feel return as the steering finally starts to engage?

What you're describing is rarely indicative of a problem in the steering components themselves (pump, rack, etc), especially on a newer vehicle - more often, it's associated with a loose tie rod end. I'd have them give everything a shake to check that there are no loose bolts anywhere in the steering parts AFTER they've looked at the tie rod ends.

Will be interested to hear what you find out.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (canderson @ Jul 12 2010, 09:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341015
The reason I ask is because there's a large difference between "lack of feel" and "slack" as you described it, which would seem to indicate lack of response. You say it has zero feel .. does the feel return as the steering finally starts to engage?

What you're describing is rarely indicative of a problem in the steering components themselves (pump, rack, etc), especially on a newer vehicle - more often, it's associated with a loose tie rod end. I'd have them give everything a shake to check that there are no loose bolts anywhere in the steering parts AFTER they've looked at the tie rod ends.

Thanks, I'll make sure they have a look at the tie rods. Steering itself is not a source of concern in terms of usability, but i'm worried that it could get worse. I'm off on a 3000km road trip next week :)

If i am sitting at idle the steering wheel has some play in it when turning left and right. That same feeling applies to going around a corner slowly, i must put more lock on to turn. Before the feel was nice and tight and weighted, it felt very accurate when doing quick lane changes. Now it feels light and loose. I hope that i'm expressing this correctly.

Will post back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would think the mechanics would have checked the tie rod and entire steering mechanism based on what you told them so I'm doubtful that's it.
Any change in your tire pressures around then and have you checked them? Less air could cause your symptoms.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Haith @ Jul 12 2010, 07:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341226
I would think the mechanics would have checked the tie rod and entire steering mechanism based on what you told them so I'm doubtful that's it.
Any change in your tire pressures around then and have you checked them? Less air could cause your symptoms.
This is clearly not a tyre pressure issue as the tyre pressures are perfect. It feels like something related to linkage, unfortunately my technical knowledge is not enough to allow me to pinpoint where the issue is.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (canderson @ Jul 12 2010, 09:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341015

So just by way of an update, i booked it again for a second time and this time the service manager gave me his 2010 with 1600km on the clock and it feels more or less the same. I also tested another three vehicles and they feel the same at between 5000km and 15000km. Yet when i compare them to my girlfriend's, her steering is stiffer. So i guess this means her steering is unusually tight! They checked the tie rods and everything else while i was there for the second time and there's nothing mechanically wrong. I've agreed to monitor...

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts