Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2014 Hyundai Accent and I was wondering if there is anyway to tighten up the electric power steering on my car? It doesn't feel like it has a centre, and feels very loose(almost like a 1970s Lincoln). I feel like I could turn the wheel with my pinky. It also feels very numb. My old 2009 Elantra Touring steering was pretty much perfect, nice heft, and really good road feel. This is the worst part about this car, and it really spoils the handling.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Get the wheel alignment checked.
Don't overinflate the tires. No more than 5 psi over recommended.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
551 Posts
Hey everyone. I have a 2014 Hyundai Accent and I was wondering if there is anyway to tighten up the electric power steering on my car? It doesn't feel like it has a centre, and feels very loose(almost like a 1970s Lincoln). I feel like I could turn the wheel with my pinky. It also feels very numb. My old 2009 Elantra Touring steering was pretty much perfect, nice heft, and really good road feel. This is the worst part about this car, and it really spoils the handling.
There's many variables I. Determining what you're 'feeling' as you say. 🤷🏼‍♂️
How old are your tires? What's the pressure in them?
When's the last time you had an alignment?
Are they the original stock tires and rims?

You're asking something that can't be answered unless you give us a better picture of what you have. 😉

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ok thats true. I am running the stock 14" steelies, the tires on it are not too old but they are not very good quality(they may as well be made of PVC😂), and the pressures are all up to 33psi or whatever the spec is. I'm not too sure about the alignment, but it doesn't seem to pull to either side, and the tires are wearing evenly. I was mostly wondering if there is anyway the steering could be reprogrammed(because it its electric) to make it feel heavier.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I bought my Accent new in 2012.. I've never been impressed with the steering.

In the city, it's OK, but on the highway, I find that staying in a straight line requires a bit more driver input and attention. (Most of my driving is on the highway, which is why I'm not impressed :)

It is possible to change the steering response.. (The Hyundai Tucson has this as an option. Hyundai Tucson >> Driver selectable steering mode (if equipped) - Steering wheel - Convenient features of your vehicle ). But I've never heard of this being done to the Accent.

And.. On steering alignment.. There's a setting called 'caster'. It provides a good steering feel and causes the wheels to to go back to center on their own after a turn. Unlike other aspects of wheel alignment, the caster can be out and not cause any issues with pulling left or right.

If your steering is to the point of being unsafe or unbearable, this might be something you'd want to have checked. Otherwise, the Accent electric steering feel is just something to live with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah exactly, it is nice in the city, but there is a back road I like driving down and I steer it more on muscle memory, rather then road feel. In the spring, I plan on putting 16" rims with really good continental tires on them. Hopefully this will tighten things up a bit! I remember seeing in a veloster forum that they took their car to a dealer and they could get the r spec steering programmed to the car and it felt stiffer. And thats worth a try for the alignment. Once I get my new wheels, I'll probably take the car in for an alignment. It isn't dangerous, its just a bit disappointing, like I said, I love the car, thats the only thing that spoils this car a bit.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yeah exactly, it is nice in the city, but there is a back road I like driving down and I steer it more on muscle memory, rather then road feel. In the spring, I plan on putting 16" rims with really good continental tires on them. Hopefully this will tighten things up a bit! I remember seeing in a veloster forum that they took their car to a dealer and they could get the r spec steering programmed to the car and it felt stiffer. And thats worth a try for the alignment. Once I get my new wheels, I'll probably take the car in for an alignment. It isn't dangerous, its just a bit disappointing, like I said, I love the car, thats the only thing that spoils this car a bit.
Before you take it to the dealership just change the rims and tires and you'll be amazed at the change in how it drives. 👍
Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah exactly. I think you commented on another thread of mine about the rpf1s and the extreme contact sports earlier. I've heard really good things about this combo, so hopefully it will work well on my car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The early SE cars claimed to have "sport tuned steering". I think mine feels pretty decent, but I haven't driven the base car. Might be interesting to compare part numbers for the eps controller, motor, rack, etc to see if you can spot a difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I wonder if they changed many things for the se steering. I'll do a little research and get back to you

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a '12 SE w/MT.

I had a wheel bearing fail while under warranty. The dealership mechanic said that an issue had been identified with the steering system in my model, the steering was looser than it should be. Even though I had not had an issue on winding mountain roads, they replaced the steering gear box because it had more play than spec'd.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it seems like this is more of a dealer thing. I just remembered that my old Elantra had electric power steering(I remember it was actually part of a recall) and it was perfectly fine, yet it only had 15" tires. In my Accent, its really hard to explain how it feels. It feels like jelly, or how a gaming wheel feels like if you turn force feedback all the way off. Also, this is kind of unrelated, but does any of your cars have a steering wheel lock? Like when you turn the car off, you can't turn the steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
With mine, when I first turn the key to the off position, the engine stops running, but I still have power steering. I can turn right and left easily with the electrical power assist still functioning.

But, after about 30 seconds the power assist stops working. When this happens, I can still turn the wheels left and right but it's very hard to do without the assist.

There is no steering lock on my car. Some cars in past had a pin in the steering column that would lock the wheel when you took the key out so it couldn't be turned. With my RB, I can always turn the front wheels. It's just a lot harder with no electrical assist.

I have an automatic. I also have a Canadian model which comes standard with an 'anti theft' chipped ignition key.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thats the same with mine, I usually still get power assist until I open my door. After that its just like manual steering. Mines a Canadian spec as well but mines stick.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can get about a quarter turn before hearing the pin engage locking it in place. '12 SE manual transmission.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow ok, I have literally rolled it down my driveway with no key in it and can steer it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mine locks too and it's a base model '15 GLS.
I must say though that the steering in my Accent is amazingly accurate and on par with anything I've owned previously.
It's not stock anymore with chassis work, bracing, and a good wheel/ tire set to bring out a great feel to the steering.
I have no complaints at all with the car. 😍💙

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm really hoping that the wheel/tire combo i have planned will help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts