Hyundai Forums banner

Steering coupler replaced by dealer, but still clunking

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Hueydriver 
#1 ·
Just had the steering coupler replaced under warranty. The clunking is still there. Dealer said coupler was replaced and it was not in too bad a shape. They said problem was "steering joint" what ever that means. Quoted me $390. No explanation about parts or labor.
Is this a dodgy (UK slang for bad) dealer, that actual did not do the work. I loathe dealerships.
Not sure what to do, or how to get the clunking fixed. Happens Everytime I go over a small bump or rut.
Sonata 2013 GLS. 86k

#2 ·
Sounds like the joint was not the problem and you need the $2 coupler...I thought dodgy was "hit & miss"?

#4 ·
To make it clear...they replaced the coupler and they now say it's the steering u-joint? You could buy the part and have someone put it on (or yourself?). Air bag light, clock spring under the air bag in the steering wheel...IIRC?

#7 ·
Weisner Hyundai would not elaborate on the problem. Would not return my calls. Just gave me a quote for $390 bucks quoting "steering joint".
4 days later the airbag light comes on.
Complained to Hyundai CS. I am now at Hyundai North Freeway just now. They mention something about a "clock spring"
Possible $110 for this checkup.
Will update as I get more info

Any more info or repair links about the steering joint I will probably try to fix my self. Also best place to order the part.
Thanks for any info

#9 ·
When repairing the coupler problem care has to be taken not to break the clock spring. Your dealer didn't take the care.
The steering joint assembly is easier to repair. Why was the rubber donut (coupler) under guarantee but the steering joint assembly not guaranteed. Is it a recall, the rubber donut.?

#11 ·
UPDATE. I AM SO MAD. The car runs like magic after it was properly repaired by the second dealership. Guess what the problem was....... The original dealer who attempted the first repair left the steering joint bolts loose. No wonder my wife was complaining the car felt worse after this repair.
The second dealership tightened up the bolts and replaced a clock spring.
Now the car runs good and the air bag light has gone off.
I can't believe I was driving that death trap with no functioning airbag due to dealer error.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.