Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Who here has had this issue with the steering sticking right on center? Mine is starting to manifest this particular problem (at 15K miles). It is most notable after driving for an hour or so. At one point it got so bad that I had a hard time keeping the car going straight.

I had heard on different threads that some have had the steering column replaced to cure the problem. Although I shudder to think of my dealer going in to replace the column with a screwdriver and a spork.

For those of you that have gone through this, what fixed the problem for you?

Thanks,

RB

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have had the same issue on mine I noticed it at about 6000kms & mentioned it to the dealership who said it was normal, I was stunned but he said it's related to the electric assist steering.
I'll be driving down the highway doing 80-100kms just cruising & when I go to move the wheel to change lane's or just miss a bump etc. it's like a magnet is holding it & I have to give it a little tug to get it to move, it scares the crap outta me sometimes but I'm at 20,000kms now and don't notice it almost never I just kept driving and after a while forgot about it or just got used to it I guess thing is you can't disable the electric assist steering either as I was almost that nervous at the time. If you get it checked out could you send me a PM if you don't mind it'd be interesting to see if your dealer says something different and/or actually takes it in & find an issue, if it can be fixed I'd do it in a heartbeat just for assurance. I love the car but that's one thing that scares me and I don't scare easy, let me know how it goes Righteous Brother (I'll just call you brother for now on) :) Thanks Phil aka new2013

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE...

The dealer is now telling me they think it may be the steering system idling (their term) when driving in a straight line. IE: if no turning pressure is applied, there is no power assist needed. Um... yeah, no. I'm not happy with this line of thought, but they have to run a few tests to determine if this is a viable outcome. I know what it feels like and I know it is not a latency in the PS assist. Standard steering feels very little from power assisted steering when driving down the highway in a straight line.

If the steering feels tight in one particular spot (center) causing me to over-correct, this is not normal. On the last trip we took in it, after about 125 - 150 miles driven, the condition became very evident. The sticking was noteworthy in that I had to use significant force to move the wheel causing me to wander all over the lane. Even my wife was concerned that I was getting tired because I was wandering around in my lane. This is not normal condition. If they should deem it normal, the car will likely be sold as soon as is practical. I no longer feel safe driving it for any long trip.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It sounds like a safety issue for sure. I would have them document on the paperwork that you feel there is a safety issue at hand and that you believe it has the potential to cause an accident.

·
Registered
256 Posts
UPDATE...

The dealer is now telling me they think it may be the steering system idling (their term) when driving in a straight line. IE: if no turning pressure is applied, there is no power assist needed. Um... yeah, no. I'm not happy with this line of thought, but they have to run a few tests to determine if this is a viable outcome. I know what it feels like and I know it is not a latency in the PS assist. Standard steering feels very little from power assisted steering when driving down the highway in a straight line.

If the steering feels tight in one particular spot (center) causing me to over-correct, this is not normal. On the last trip we took in it, after about 125 - 150 miles driven, the condition became very evident. The sticking was noteworthy in that I had to use significant force to move the wheel causing me to wander all over the lane. Even my wife was concerned that I was getting tired because I was wandering around in my lane. This is not normal condition. If they should deem it normal, the car will likely be sold as soon as is practical. I no longer feel safe driving it for any long trip.

I would make them fix that pronto. Driving a car like that is tiring as ****, no big deal otherwise unless you have to do something sudden and severe. Worse. driving around like that knowing about it leave you somewhat liable. I have had that happen to a Jeep grand Cherokee just like you describe. I changed out the PS pump and still there. Then ended up removing the steering shaft still couldn't feel it. Of course you need the front end loose hanging in the air to do any of this. I finally unhooked every one of my steering arms one at a time till I found a tiny, very tiny bit of drag flopping the wheel back and forth. I do mean tiny, never would have suspected otherwise but for that issue I was looking for. I I Finally pulled the lower ball joint and that had been causing all the headaches. Yours has a completely different setup than a jeep of course.
Still the lesson to be learned was that one little thing caused it to bind enough to wander around like a drunken sailor with me driving it like the power steering had 3/4 failed. Oh, the ball joint wasn't worn at all, just dry I guess. Tearing it apart there was no indication of why it began dragging yet it was the issue. I just proves that sometimes it's something so remote it's amazing.
Of course that was a much older car but still, sometimes strange things happen even with newer ones.
Surely this is covered by the warranty. I would expect them to toss you a loaner and work on it till it's right. Sometimes, you have to prod them a bit about these things , they seem to get forgetful about that customer service after the ink has dried.......:mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Steering wheel position sticks at highway speeds

In my 2013 Elantra, 25,000 miles, I experience that same troubling steering phenomenon going 50-to 70 mph on the interstate. When I try to correct my steering just a smidge, the wheel is temporarily stuck in place and extra force, however slight, is needed to correct, as though it is stuck in a jog or magnetic force. This is indeed tiring on a longer trip. I had not noticed it until the last few weeks. Is this something that occurs only after several thousand miles? Is it a result of an electric steering system that is not performing to spec?

I hope others who notice this problem post their experience.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my 2013 Elantra, 25,000 miles, I experience that same troubling steering phenomenon going 50-to 70 mph on the interstate. When I try to correct my steering just a smidge, the wheel is temporarily stuck in place and extra force, however slight, is needed to correct, as though it is stuck in a jog or magnetic force. This is indeed tiring on a longer trip. I had not noticed it until the last few weeks. Is this something that occurs only after several thousand miles? Is it a result of an electric steering system that is not performing to spec?

Yup. That sounds like my issue as well. I went to the dealer last Friday and they checked this and that. The work order came back "no fault found". The Service Manager talked to me and gave me a line that it was likely a latency in the system. When I am driving straight and not turning (ie: no power assist needed) the electric power steering "idles". Or produces no power assist. Then when I turn the wheel, the power assist kicks in and assists with the turning or the wheel.

That's all well and good, except that there is never a time while driving where you are not moving the steering wheel. I mentioned that to him and he sputtered for a few seconds and then came back with "well, if it doesn't act up, we can't fix it." Great! I'm driving to Quebec City the end of June. I'll give him a call as I pass through Detroit.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I noticed the same exact thing recently. It's very nerve racking when you have trouble staying in your lane on a busy freeway. I love this car, but if I can't get it fixed, I might sell it. I'll be taking it in to the dealer ASAP

·
Registered
153 Posts
Drove me crazy this past weekend on a trip to the beach. I'm due for an oil change soon and will be asking them to look into it.

·
22,793 Posts
This issue has popped up since I had my 2011 and a multitude of posts by members have been written about it. The steering is an annoying little sucker at times, too!!! I experience it on occasion in the 2013, also. It has been described as though there is a "notch" that it centers itself into. And you can feel that each time you make the slightest movement in the steering wheel. As the OP said, it is usually at highway speeds...60+ MPH. Sometimes I notice it, other times I do not. But on those occasions when I do? It seems like my brain becomes so focused on it that it drives me up the wall. Then again, I didn't notice it at all on a 3,000 mile round trip to Virginia. So, I don't know.

The wife's Tucson has the electric power assist on its steering. To me, it's perfect. Actually, it's feels more like the old-style power steering of long ago. Effortless. Now, get this: she hates it! Says it's too touchy and responsive. I love it! She would prefer it to be a bit tighter in the handling like the Elantra. Me? I prefer hers! Hmmm...wonder if I could go out to the garage and do a little swapping? :wink2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Hyundai steering issues

On my new 2016 Elantra, I have experience that same problem with the steering sticking when driving on the highway. When I try to correct my steering just a bit, the wheel seems to stuck in place when I try to make any corrections. Feels like someone is hold the wheel not letting me turn it. I realized this because the car wants to pull a little to the right. So when I try to correct to the left or right it feels like the wheels are in a rut. I will be taking the my car back to the dealer for them to check it. I have only about 250 miles on it. I will no except an answer that it the way it is. I am a mechanic and know there is an issue with the electric steering system. I have asked other Elantra owners and they do not have this issue. If they can not fix the issue I will use the LEMON LAW to my favor. I will be noted because I am sure there will be a class action lawsuit in the future over this issue.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
On my new 2016 Elantra, I have experience that same problem with the steering sticking when driving on the highway. When I try to correct my steering just a bit, the wheel seems to stuck in place when I try to make any corrections. Feels like someone is hold the wheel not letting me turn it. I realized this because the car wants to pull a little to the right. So when I try to correct to the left or right it feels like the wheels are in a rut. I will be taking the my car back to the dealer for them to check it. I have only about 250 miles on it. I will no except an answer that it the way it is. I am a mechanic and know there is an issue with the electric steering system. I have asked other Elantra owners and they do not have this issue. If they can not fix the issue I will use the LEMON LAW to my favor. I will be noted because I am sure there will be a class action lawsuit in the future over this issue.
when you do this, ask if the steering can be adjusted. there is a post here in the sonata section about this. complaint was that they wanted the steering "softer". took the car to the dealer, dealer service manager said there are no adjustments. brought out his computer to interface with the car to show them. lo and behold, when the steering section was brought up, there ARE adjustments. he selected the softest mode, and it was exactly what they wanted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same center line binding issue on my Sonata 2.0T 2013 model appear at 80,000 miles. The dealer changed the upper steering column under the extended warranty which i purchased with the car. No questions asked. It was an $800 part with $300 labor. The new column is better tuned than the OEM which was always a little lazy returning to center (a problem often quoted in reviews of the Sonata). I'm guessing Hyundai redesigned the steering tuning and i now have the updated column.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I literally just joined this forum a few minutes ago to talk about this very problem.

I have a 2014 Elantra sedan and have recently been noticing this EXACT problem. The steering seems to "stick" like it has been trapped by a magnet. While driving, I was thinking things like "flat spot on an armature" or "bad ball bearing". My Elantra has 23,000 miles on it. I just finished a four hundred mile trip and this issue became more and more noticeable to me, although it really began several hundred miles ago. The car does not pull as if it is out of alignment or has low tire pressure. The problem is more when the steering "gets stuck", the car wants to continue in that direction until you steer out of that condition. That causes you to constantly have to make corrections to redirect the car !! To compound this issue, it seems most noticeable at highway speeds ! It does not "stick" while sitting still at a light or at very low speeds. VERY ANNOYING at the very least and potentially unsafe ! Is this problem going to all of a sudden get worse on its own when I least expect it ? Can't say for sure obviously.
I would like to add that I have been a certified aircraft technician for over thirty years and it is VERY obvious to me that this is an electric steering issue even though I am not fully educated on how this system works. I WILL find out though.

I am glad I found this issue in this forum. I am also glad I am not the only one. I will be heading to the dealership today to alert them of the problem and see what they have to say, We shall see. As with everything big business, I'm expecting a long uphill battle for satisfaction and hopefully resolution to this issue.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have any of you tried lubing up the u-joints in the steering column? This fixed the problem in mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have any of you tried lubing up the u-joints in the steering column? This fixed the problem in mine.
I had this same problem my first year of owning it. I installed Eibach lowering springs, and the problem disappeared.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts