Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Santa Fe Highlander in Perth, Western Australia. The Highlander model is a 7 seater, 19" wheels, leather, navigation, panoramic sunroof, 2.2 diesel AWD (no v6 engines in Australia), memory seats, cornering fog lights, etc. The main features we don't seem to have in Australian models are bluelink (not available in Australia) and the self-parking option available in Europe.

After driving the new vehicle for a few weeks I was unhappy with the vague steering, which seemed to require lots of small input from the driver. I had transitioned from a 5 series BMW, so it was quite noticeable. After a bit of internet searching I found this excellent forum and read all of the (many) posts about vague steering and recommendations.

A bit of extra internet digging led me to tech notes for calibration of the Steering Angle Sensor. This was a very simple process by the dealer, requiring the dealer to plug the car into the computer and reset the ASP (Absolute Steering Position). After the reset the Santa Fe drove like a different vehicle, steady on the road and very little input required from the steering wheel. Previously, the steering wheel seemed to be hunting for a centre position. After the change it was neutral and much better to drive.

Thanks for all the reading in this forum. Very useful in learning about my new Santa Fe. I hope my own experience may assist others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very good post! I have also found that either the factory or the dealers are over inflating the tires by about 10 psi at each wheel. Although the tires (Continental 19") have a max psi of about 51, a call to the service tech yielded a recommendation of about 36 psi. I moved my SFS to a level spot on the driveway and deflated each tire to exactly 38 psi. I was shocked at how much better it drove! Sport Mode felt more like what I think they intended and steering input not needed as much. It's safe to say that some of the Santa Fe's that were reviewed by the likes of (Motortrend) and a few others most likely had over inflated tires.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I bought a new Santa Fe Highlander in Perth, Western Australia. The Highlander model is a 7 seater, 19" wheels, leather, navigation, panoramic sunroof, 2.2 diesel AWD (no v6 engines in Australia), memory seats, cornering fog lights, etc. The main features we don't seem to have in Australian models are bluelink (not available in Australia) and the self-parking option available in Europe.

After driving the new vehicle for a few weeks I was unhappy with the vague steering, which seemed to require lots of small input from the driver. I had transitioned from a 5 series BMW, so it was quite noticeable. After a bit of internet searching I found this excellent forum and read all of the (many) posts about vague steering and recommendations.

A bit of extra internet digging led me to tech notes for calibration of the Steering Angle Sensor. This was a very simple process by the dealer, requiring the dealer to plug the car into the computer and reset the ASP (Absolute Steering Position). After the reset the Santa Fe drove like a different vehicle, steady on the road and very little input required from the steering wheel. Previously, the steering wheel seemed to be hunting for a centre position. After the change it was neutral and much better to drive.

Thanks for all the reading in this forum. Very useful in learning about my new Santa Fe. I hope my own experience may assist others.

Question: I have one of the infamous 'wandering' YF-class
Sonatas. I just had it aligned last week at a local shop.
Everything is spot on according to the numbers, with
minimal cross-camber or cross-anything.

Can I just take it to my local dealer and have them perform
the SAS calibration - or - do they need to perform their
own four-wheel alignment and do the steering angle
procedure off of that?

Finally, is there TSB or any other documentation on Steering
angle ASP you guys can point me to?

**About Hyundai-Forums in general:**

I sincerely feel like a freshly badged ASE Tech after
registering here, poking about reading up on things,
and asking questions and offering advice on various
threads!

The advice and info you folks have given me regarding
my 2013 Sonata limited, and on vehicles I might
replace it with, are priceless and no doubt could
NEVER be obtained from any dealer or service dept.

THANK YOU for all you have schooled me on - and
corrected me when due - and for any advice you may
further lend, in advance. :wink:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Some Alignment machines can do this, if they are newer. We had a Hunter one that would. Otherwise, the dealer. BUT NO OTHER ALIGNMENT IS NECESSARY!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts