Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
Could you please watch the video and advise what you think is wrong with the steering? Download link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1bymkdy3r8ij75/20180703_171847.mp4?dl=0

Issue:
If I quarter turn the steering towards right - it returns back to center but goes a bit towards left, when i quarter turn towards left - it doesn't return back to center.
I have gone to garages and they have blamed the wheel alignment, I have got the alignment checked thrice with Yokohama and Michelin guys, both have said the alignment is alright.

When i am driving straight on slow speeds; I constantly have to hold the steering so it doesn't steer towards left, but on speeds above 60KPH it drives in a straight line without a glitch.

Really annoyed :crying2:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like you have more caster on the left then the right... did they provide you with a printout of the alignment report? if so, can you post it..
No they did not provide an alignment report, and I was told by a few people that the new cars don't come with the caster alignment.:crying2:
I should probably get the tie rod and caster checked :frown:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys!
Could you please watch the video and advise what you think is wrong with the steering? Download link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1bymkdy3r8ij75/20180703_171847.mp4?dl=0

Issue:
If I quarter turn the steering towards right - it returns back to center but goes a bit towards left, when i quarter turn towards left - it doesn't return back to center.
I have gone to garages and they have blamed the wheel alignment, I have got the alignment checked thrice with Yokohama and Michelin guys, both have said the alignment is alright.

When i am driving straight on slow speeds; I constantly have to hold the steering so it doesn't steer towards left, but on speeds above 60KPH it drives in a straight line without a glitch.

Really annoyed :crying2:
Hi Guys! Could you please check the video again and help on this, I have got the alignment checked, i even got the suspensions replaced, I am still facing this issue...could it be something to do with the steering rack?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
9,159 Posts
Just becasue caster cannot be adjusted (it can if you try hard enough) does not mean it is not the problem. Definitely a problem on my Gen Coupe, or was.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just becasue caster cannot be adjusted (it can if you try hard enough) does not mean it is not the problem. Definitely a problem on my Gen Coupe, or was.
Lot of posts have mentioned about the Caster but whenever I take it to the mechanics they just say not needed on this vehicle.
How do I forcefully make them do it? (I don't wanna force them going against their opinions because they have a tendency to screw it up and later blame it on the owner "See...I told you!")

·
Banned
6,994 Posts
Lot of posts have mentioned about the Caster but whenever I take it to the mechanics they just say not needed on this vehicle.
How do I forcefully make them do it? (I don't wanna force them going against their opinions because they have a tendency to screw it up and later blame it on the owner "See...I told you!")
If this is a new problem I need to ask. Have you hit any pot holes, curbs anything where the front end took a hit? Are you the only driver?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If this is a new problem I need to ask. Have you hit any pot holes, curbs anything where the front end took a hit? Are you the only driver?
My wife did hit a curb some time back real bad, but after that I have got it aligned along with new suspensions.
I once got the steering coupler replaced, is it possible something went wrong in the steering rack?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
9,159 Posts
Many places will not do this as then they are liable for any issues and yes they will blame the customer.

My Gen Coupe pulled to the right from day one. Hyundai would say alignment is within spec. But they could not fix the pulling to the right. The castor was off with the right leading the left by a degree or so.

Three ways to fix this. What you need to do is to adjust the angle of the strut from top to bottom, parallel to the car body.

If it's a FWD then just adjust the subframe as it is skewed. You may have to remove any bolts that are for fixed position. The four subframe bushing bolts will hold the thing together just fine.

Or you can get adjustable tension rods that will replace the fixed ones and you can pull one wheel forward to match the other. This is what I did with my Gen Coupe though there is limited adjustment due to the angle this creates on the steering link from tie rod to steering rack.

Third is coil over struts or using OE struts slotting the strut tower so the top of the strut can be moved back.

What you really need is a better alignment shop.

·
Banned
6,994 Posts
My wife did hit a curb some time back real bad, but after that I have got it aligned along with new suspensions.
I once got the steering coupler replaced, is it possible something went wrong in the steering rack?
The knuckle is bent. Not at all uncommon after a curb hit. That's going to be your problem.

Reactions: cb900f2

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many places will not do this as then they are liable for any issues and yes they will blame the customer.

My Gen Coupe pulled to the right from day one. Hyundai would say alignment is within spec. But they could not fix the pulling to the right. The castor was off with the right leading the left by a degree or so.

Three ways to fix this. What you need to do is to adjust the angle of the strut from top to bottom, parallel to the car body.

If it's a FWD then just adjust the subframe as it is skewed. You may have to remove any bolts that are for fixed position. The four subframe bushing bolts will hold the thing together just fine.

Or you can get adjustable tension rods that will replace the fixed ones and you can pull one wheel forward to match the other. This is what I did with my Gen Coupe though there is limited adjustment due to the angle this creates on the steering link from tie rod to steering rack.

Third is coil over struts or using OE struts slotting the strut tower so the top of the strut can be moved back.

What you really need is a better alignment shop.
Thanks for this Red! I will use this to talk to an alignment shop. Hope someone can figure this out..

·
Banned
6,994 Posts
I am sorry I am not too technical, what does a knuckle look like and where exactly in the wheel area?
Print out Red's suggestion and mine. Go to the alignment shop and show them Red's suggestion.......after the laughter subsides show them mine and they can help you. The knuckle is the large metal thing the tire, tie rod end, bottom strut and axle bolts to. Not that bad to replace. It'll straighten out your problem without trying to cheat it by messing up other things like your sub frame alignment.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Print out Red's suggestion and mine. Go to the alignment shop and show them Red's suggestion.......after the laughter subsides show them mine and they can help you. The knuckle is the large metal thing the tire, tie rod end, bottom strut and axle bolts to. Not that bad to replace. It'll straighten out your problem without trying to cheat it by messing up other things like your sub frame alignment.
Wow that was cold.
Anyway, from the image can you point-out which one is the 'large metal thing'?
:laugh:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.