Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm planning to put the winter tires on myself tomorrow and I was wondering if we need a different style lug nut for the steel wheels? And any center cap option for protecting the exposed center hub?
I don't want to get a full wheel cover because I have had tons flew off and cause problems in deep snow and ice on my other car.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Steel wheels usually need 'open' nuts rather than those acorn nuts because the steel is thinner than aluminum. The 'cap'-style nuts can bottom out on the lug before tightening against the wheel. When you pull the OEM wheel you can spin one of the lug nuts on and see how close it can get to the hub before it bottoms out.
For the center hubs - [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Bottle/dp/B000FW7VGE[/ame] - costs less than 8 bucks, applies with a brush, and protects against salt, moisture, etc. Note - don't use anti-seize or grease on lugs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steel wheels usually need 'open' nuts rather than those acorn nuts because the steel is thinner than aluminum. The 'cap'-style nuts can bottom out on the lug before tightening against the wheel. When you pull the OEM wheel you can spin one of the lug nuts on and see how close it can get to the hub before it bottoms out.
For the center hubs - https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Bottle/dp/B000FW7VGE - costs less than 8 bucks, applies with a brush, and protects against salt, moisture, etc. Note - don't use anti-seize or grease on lugs.
heres what the steel wheel seats look like, does it look like they will sit?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Look OK to me. If the nuts have a taper they should be fine. Just check the thread length as has been suggested. Some manufacturers do have different tapers though but my guess is Hyundai nuts should be the same for both alloy and steel wheels. By the way I have never seen an alloy wheel nut. Maybe dmlexpert means nuts to fit alloy wheels.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
heres what the steel wheel seats look like, does it look like they will sit?
The bevel on the wheel looks fine. They look like used wheels - a bit of rust. May want to put a thin film of anti-seize inside that center bore and a bit on the hub where the wheel sits on it.

Where you could run into trouble is in the thickness of the steel. Aluminum is thicker and so the nut may bottom out (the top of the 'acorn' hits the top of the lug) before the wheel is snug against the hub. If this happens, you can torque the wheel to 70 lb.ft. and you will still get a vibration because the wheel can wobble since it's not squashed down tight against the hub. Usually you can get 'taller' acorn nuts (look for M12 x 1.5 thread pitch - you need 20 and they usually sell them in sets of 20) that will be sure to clamp the wheel down tight.

When you get steelies from Tire Rack, they give you a set of lug nuts for Hyundai/Kia products with alloy wheels, so I suspect they already know the stock lug nuts will bottom out and prevent the proper fitment of the wheels.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bevel on the wheel looks fine. They look like used wheels - a bit of rust. May want to put a thin film of anti-seize inside that center bore and a bit on the hub where the wheel sits on it.

Where you could run into trouble is in the thickness of the steel. Aluminum is thicker and so the nut may bottom out (the top of the 'acorn' hits the top of the lug) before the wheel is snug against the hub. If this happens, you can torque the wheel to 70 lb.ft. and you will still get a vibration because the wheel can wobble since it's not squashed down tight against the hub. Usually you can get 'taller' acorn nuts (look for M12 x 1.5 thread pitch - you need 20 and they usually sell them in sets of 20) that will be sure to clamp the wheel down tight.

When you get steelies from Tire Rack, they give you a set of lug nuts for Hyundai/Kia products with alloy wheels, so I suspect they already know the stock lug nuts will bottom out and prevent the proper fitment of the wheels.
Yeah they were used wheels that were previously on a leased 2015 sonata. I will put some anti-seize on, thanks for the advice! I noticed the center nut has a glob of grease on it from factory already. I can't really put anti freeze on top of the glob but wondering is there like a dust cap that'll keep the dirt out. I don't want it to be exposed.

It was quite gusty today so I didn't get a chance to change them out but I did try out one wheel on and it was kinda wobbly, the nut was too shallow and it might look like I have barely any clearance between my calibers and rim.

I'll drop by either costco or canadian tires tomorrow and pick up a set of those tall acorn nuts.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yeah they were used wheels that were previously on a leased 2015 sonata. I will put some anti-seize on, thanks for the advice! I noticed the center nut has a glob of grease on it from factory already. I can't really put anti freeze on top of the glob but wondering is there like a dust cap that'll keep the dirt out. I don't want it to be exposed.
Hey, I found something you might like. Go to ebay and in the top box, search for: 291439691777
That's the auction number for [Black Trailer Wheel Hub Cap Covers 5 lug 5 x 4.5" pattern] - where 4.5" is 114.3mm. They "snap onto the lug nuts"

I found it in a google search for "axle cover 5 lug" - you can browse and see if you can find any similar solutions. This one looks like it's be a great solution for keeping the sand and gunk away from the axle nut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts