Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying winter tires for my ride. My question is do I need to worry about offset or anything else when purchasing multifit steel wheels? At my local Canadian tire I can get 16" steel wheels for $45 a piece.

Is $925.22 for a set of hankook i-pikes 205/55/R16 a good deal? It includes all fees, taxes, balancing, mounting, etc. Any advantages from buying a set at the dealer?

·
22,793 Posts
$925.22 for a set of winter tires? I wouldn't have a clue but I sure felt your pain and my wallet puckered when I saw that dollar amount. Holy cow. You folks up north have my deepest sympathy. $925.22!!! OUCH!

·
Registered
11 Posts
yikes...

i just picked up my GLS on saturday... got a mounted set of snows from them just to stick it on the 0% financing and they were less then that..

i cant imagine the dealer being anywhere near the cheapest.. and crappy tire is hit and miss with pricing... i would continue to shop around if it were me.. although maybe the tires are expensive to begin with

·
22,793 Posts
I'm sure snow tires are like any other tire out there on the market. Cheap/Expensive, lousy/great, etc. I guess it boils down to how much you want to spend and how long you hope they'll last as well as perform.

Here's my broad knowledge: they're softer compound, require less pressure, and you can get them studded. That's it. Not a lot to go on. I'd be the perfect pigeon for a smooth-talking tire salesman.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't too worried about the price. More so if I have to worry about fitment of basic steel wheels or are they all the same.

·
22,793 Posts
Some of the guys on here posted some "other vehicle brands" of steel wheels that crossover to Hyundai...found at salvage yards, Craigslist, etc. Saved them a bundle. Took them home, cleaned, painted or dipped, and went on down the road. You might do a search for "steel wheels" and cruise those posts.

I believe Discount Tire also sells them. Unsure of the price. I'm still amazed that these winters force you guys in the unenviable position where you need snow tires just for day-to-day functioning. My condolences.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Most posts I see about snow tires are on 15. Maybe cheaper to get steel wheels and tires in 15 size compared to 16. Call around to a few local shops for pricing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
93 Posts
The steel wheels for $45 a piece isn't a bad deal.. But the whole package for $925.22 is a little pricey.. I know if you shop around you can get all of that for at least $100 cheaper. Try Kal Tire.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those who say that $925 taxes in for 4 rubbers on steel wheels seems steep, what would a good price be then? For the same make and brand of tire CDN tire is $85 cheaper for a set then the dealer. I thank the community for saying I can do better. I know I could go to walmart and get a brand like Rovelo or weathermate for around $800 taxes in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For those who say that $925 taxes in for 4 rubbers on steel wheels seems steep, what would a good price be then? For the same make and brand of tire CDN tire is $85 cheaper for a set then the dealer. I thank the community for saying I can do better. I know I could go to walmart and get a brand like Rovelo or weathermate for around $800 taxes in.
Maybe I'm wrong but they are listed at Cdn tire for $120 a tire. Hankook i*Pike RC01 Winter Tire - Canadian Tire

Assuming that is correct that comes to $480 for 4 tires.. then $45 for steel wheels thats another $180 add them up with tax is $745.50. I'm sure there are places if not Cdn tire themselves that will mount and balance them for free. Even if you paid a little more somewhere else for the tires, I know there are places that offer to put them on and balance for free.. So, you shouldn't be paying more then $800 all in.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Most posts I see about snow tires are on 15. Maybe cheaper to get steel wheels and tires in 15 size compared to 16. Call around to a few local shops for pricing.
+1

P195/65 R15 tires are not only cheaper; they are also better-performing in winter. You want more rubber vertically (for shock absorption) and less rubber horizontally (for cutting through snow instead of riding on top). You want tall skinny tires; exactly the opposite of what the cool kids do in California.

Top brands that everyone knows about include Michelin X-Ice and Bridgestone Blizzak. For better price/performance check out General Tire Altimax or BF Goodrich KSI. But really any name-brand winter tire is going to be 300% better than what you have now :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To Bri26 your numbers only include rubber and metal + tax. Mine included all that plus mounting , balancing, enviro fees and some warranty. I haven't bought anything yet as I am on here for advice. I guess steel wheels are steel wheels, one size fits most?

·
Registered
870 Posts
195/65/15 Hankook W409 Winter i-Pike mounted on steel rims cost me $680 out the door. If I had to do it again, I would have bought a set of used alloys off of Kijiji and mounted the tires to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some of the guys on here posted some "other vehicle brands" of steel wheels that crossover to Hyundai...found at salvage yards, Craigslist, etc. Saved them a bundle. Took them home, cleaned, painted or dipped, and went on down the road. You might do a search for "steel wheels" and cruise those posts.

I believe Discount Tire also sells them. Unsure of the price. I'm still amazed that these winters force you guys in the unenviable position where you need snow tires just for day-to-day functioning. My condolences.
Needing snow tires is but one component of the arsenal of tools required to survive the ravages of the winter season.

A functioning car heater, defroster, shovel, snow brush, ice scraper, gloves, etc. are also vital.

Relatively speaking, mustering up the intestinal fortitude to withstand the trials and tribulations of this winter wonderland is where it gets a little tough and ultimately annoying.
:frozen:

On the bright side, once spring rolls around, one can begin engaging in the sport of dodging potholes.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Winter tires

Be sure to check out Tirerack.com. I've found them to be very competitive in their pricing and you can order your entire set of tires and rims already mounted and balanced delivered to your door via UPS. They also will show you a list of tire/wheel combos that will fit your vehicle. I've used them for many years with excellent results.

·
Registered
616 Posts
+1

P195/65 R15 tires are not only cheaper; they are also better-performing in winter. You want more rubber vertically (for shock absorption) and less rubber horizontally (for cutting through snow instead of riding on top). You want tall skinny tires; exactly the opposite of what the cool kids do in California.

Top brands that everyone knows about include Michelin X-Ice and Bridgestone Blizzak. For better price/performance check out General Tire Altimax or BF Goodrich KSI. But really any name-brand winter tire is going to be 300% better than what you have now :)
+2. Go for 15" for the reasons listed above.

Also, when it comes to snow/winter tires, don't be afraid of the cheaper, lesser-known brands. I've had great experience with nexen winguard 231's and a few other cheap brands.

Look at the tread design and rubber compound. Those things are more important than who makes them.

Regardless, you can't go wrong with any of the tires Don67 listed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
+1 on the Nexens. On my third winter on my Cavalier and no issues, wearing very good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looking at buying winter tires for my ride. My question is do I need to worry about offset or anything else when purchasing multifit steel wheels? At my local Canadian tire I can get 16" steel wheels for $45 a piece.

Is $925.22 for a set of hankook i-pikes 205/55/R16 a good deal? It includes all fees, taxes, balancing, mounting, etc. Any advantages from buying a set at the dealer?
Where are you located? If you live in the gta. Here's where I bought my winter tires.

Joycity Tires - Home

All prices already have all taxes, and fees included.

I bought hankook w409 Ipike (195/65/15) with 15" multi fit alloys. Paid $840 taxes in. If you want steel rims. You can get tires + steel rims for $660 taxes in.

I've used the hankook ipikes before, and they're good tires. I chose not to use steel rims, because they start to show surface rust even after 1 season. I want my car to still look decent in the winter :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
No issues with the multifit steel wheels on my Tucson the wheels and snows were about 700 dollars taxes in at Joycity Tires in Toronto.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you are a member at Costco, you should go there. They will give you a good price on the tires and make sure you have the right rims, fill them with nitrogen, and I believe will change the tires in the spring ( not positive about the changing)
Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts