Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just installed a new HU myself, and I am going to purchase the PAC-SWI to hook up the steering wheel controls. I THINK we need to tap into the harness (the one you bought the interface between the OEM/factory harness) and get a 12V (red) for the PAC-SWI. The ground (pin #19) and remote signal wire (pin #18) should have wiring unless you ripped them out...You can identify these pins on the diagram from the DIY sticky>Headunit install (linky below).

http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/misc.htm

LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS OUT WELL....IT SEEMS PRETTY STRAIGHTFORWARD, BUT LET ME KNOW.

QUOTE (kralco626 @ Jul 31 2010, 11:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346339
I just installed a new head unit and I'm trying to hook up the steering wheel controls but i don't know what wire is the steering wheel control wire. I bought this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17946_...+SWI-JACK-.html

I don't know what to do now to hook up that steering wheel control adapter to the car.

Help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I'll be trying to hook up the steering wheel controls sometime this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyone else happen to have already tried this?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yes, successfully. I tapped directly into the wires from the factory harness. You have to read the PAC instructions carefully. DO NOT INSTALL THE RESISTOR!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey...I finally got around to installing the PAC-SWI yesterday and it was pretty much what I thought it would be with a couple of tweaks.

1) Use the WHITE cable coming from the PAC-SWI unit and tie that in to the wire coming from PIN #18 (remote signal) on the Scosche.
2) Tap into the BLACK ground from the Scosche with the BLACK cable from the PAC-SWI.
3) Tap into the RED 12v cable from the Scosche with the RED cable from the PAC-SWI.
4) You are going to have to either tap into the BLACK cable (again) with PIN #19 (ground) or ground it somewhere else. You cannot use it (#19) as a ground, IT MUST be grounded or the steering wheel remote won't send signals to the PAC-SWI.

Hope this helps. Set the number dial on the side of the PAC-SWI according to the radio brand you are installing (mine was Kenwood, so the dial is at #3) and then you program the PAC-SWI to interface version 9 (press the button 9 times) which is the number for our Sonata.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i took the after market harness im not sure which pin it was but the one that the remote adapter called for was not there.. so i looked at the after market harness and there are multiple wires that are labled "mute" (which mean do nothing) i pulled one of them out with needle nose pliers and placed it into the pin hole in the after market harness that it called for. i think it was like pin "19". that way i didn't have to splice into the factory wiring.. i installed the axxess in mine..much easier programing just press volume up on steering controls and your done...

·
Registered
87 Posts
So, splice the oem wire harness? Or how do you guys mean "tap" into the wire harness directly.
This was a while ago (and I don't have time right now to undo my dash and take a look)...but I believe I bought a Scosche harness that connected to my OEM harness. Any tapping/splicing took place at the Scosche harness level, as to leave my OEM equipement stock.

OEM -->Scosche --> Afermarket HU

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
This was a while ago (and I don't have time right now to undo my dash and take a look)...but I believe I bought a Scosche harness that connected to my OEM harness. Any tapping/splicing took place at the Scosche harness level, as to leave my OEM equipement stock.

OEM -->Scosche --> Afermarket HU
Plz don't undo your dash just to look lol That would be a pain.
I was just wondering b/c I plan on adding the steering wheel adapter. I don't have the PAC yet; I am sure the instructions on PAC will clarify it too.

I just wished our steering wheel actually had more features on the buttons, track skip is one i really miss from my older car.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
thanks for the heads-up, I will definitely look into this! - i am still trying to to fit the double din panel LOL ...smh

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
dont buy pac buy axxess remote adapter much easier install i promise u.. youtube it... mine skips tracks... changes songs with steering wheel controls.. even with bluetooth.... i have a Kenwood-DDX-419

Axxess ASWC Steering wheel control interface — connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to an aftermarket stereo at Crutchfield.com
By the way, how in the world do you skip track and bluetooth; my steering wheel hardware does not have any of those buttons....

·
Registered
442 Posts
My radio has built in Bluetooth an just skip the track on the track up button on the steering wheel..

·
Registered
87 Posts
They sell OEM buttons with two extra track skip buttons....I've seen them on the forum somewhere ( I have yet to order one, but it definitely a project when it gets warm).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts