Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2011 Elantra 1.8. with 125k miles. Already knew it needed a new timing chain tensioner. Constant tapping noise when running. So we replaced the all the timing chain components, and indeed, the tensioner had failed and the back end was blown off, so there was no tension on the chain.

So even after this repair, the car still has a rattle noise at startup for a second or two. I think the tensioner is oil pressure driven and, evidently, after the car sits for a while the oil pressure drains off and the tensioner backs off allowing slack in the chain. Why is it not holding the oil pressure/tension when off? I see other posts about startup noises on these cars. Is this startup noise just a harmless characteristic? Anything to worry about or anything else that can be done?

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the tensioner was that bad already it is possible that you could have some chain stretch. Also, is it possible that an oil passage that feeds the tensioner is clogged and or poorly machined causing less than ideal oil pressure for the tensioner?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As already mentioned, the car has a new chain, tensioner, guides, tensioner arm. The noise it was creating while running has been eliminated with the new TC parts. It is just at startup now.

Any experienced Hyundai techs out there or a person(s) that has already been through this experience? What I am after here is knowing whether (1) the startup noise is no issue and just ignore it and it will likely run another 50-100k miles OR (2) there is something else that can be done to eliminate the issue that I am not aware of. BTW, did add a Hyundai oil filter also, Saw the TSB.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
As already mentioned, the car has a new chain, tensioner, guides, tensioner arm. The noise it was creating while running has been eliminated with the new TC parts. It is just at startup now.

Any experienced Hyundai techs out there or a person(s) that has already been through this experience? What I am after here is knowing whether (1) the startup noise is no issue and just ignore it and it will likely run another 50-100k miles OR (2) there is something else that can be done to eliminate the issue that I am not aware of. BTW, did add a Hyundai oil filter also, Saw the TSB.
Did you check/clear any oil passages (Boy, I sure hope so, or you're in for another teardown...) The tensioners are adjusted by oil pressure. So if a passage is blocked it will still rattle on startup.

Or, the oil pump is weak. Try putting an oil pressure gauge on it and see what happens at startup.

·
Registered
118 Posts
kneeprints-

I'm sorry, I did not catch that in your post. My mistake. Yes they operate off oil pressure. Some have reported varying levels of effect by changing oil filter, and or oil weight. None I believe solve the problem, but maybe points us towards the culprit. Maybe the oil passages that feed the tensioner.

Old's Cool-

I tell ya, if my current Elantra gets the problem to the extent of my first I'm just going to go old school and find a way to drill and tap a bolt to keep tension on the darn thing. I don't care if it weeps oil.

All in all I'd say the problem is pretty small in so far as you never know what problems you are going to get with any given line of production cars. None are without their faults.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
kneeprints-

I'm sorry, I did not catch that in your post. My mistake. Yes they operate off oil pressure. Some have reported varying levels of effect by changing oil filter, and or oil weight. None I believe solve the problem, but maybe points us towards the culprit. Maybe the oil passages that feed the tensioner.

Old's Cool-

I tell ya, if my current Elantra gets the problem to the extent of my first I'm just going to go old school and find a way to drill and tap a bolt to keep tension on the darn thing. I don't care if it weeps oil.

All in all I'd say the problem is pretty small in so far as you never know what problems you are going to get with any given line of production cars. None are without their faults.
Just what I was thinking yesterday.

F'rinstance, every Toyota I ever had leaked oil from the pan after ~100,000 miles. Every single one. Replace gasket and then tighten up the pan bolts every oil change and it might stop....maybe...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the oil pressure is fine as there are no warning lights and no sounds after the first second or two. I just cannot figure why a new "redesigned" tensioner does not hold the pressure on chain while not running. Some other cars (eg. GM) have a detent in the tensioner that provides a maximum relief travel the piston can go backwards. In other words, it can only back off/loosen chain pressure so much - regardless of oil pressure.

So is this anything to worry about long term other than just a noise at startup?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - Took timing chain cover off and installed another tensioner. No difference. Turned over engine a few times and saw tensioner and guide jerking back and forth. This is obviously the noise we were hearing. I did notice some marks on the back of the tensioner wall of the first tensioner we installed last week, probably from the piston jumping back and forth like this at startup, with no oil pressure. Remember the original tensioner had blown out the rear wall, I assume because of this slapping back and forth at startup.

Any Hyundai techs on this forum? What are we missing here? Did we possibly get two defective tensioners? Aren't they supposed to hold pressure when off? Isn't there a minimum fall back?

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
I'm just guessing but the tensioners work on oil pressure. So, I would be chasing the oil pressure aspect first, looking for blockage somewhere along the line. When the engine starts the oil pressure should build steadily, and what you're describing sounds like pulsing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Did you try to prime the tensioners? I don't know about the tensioner on your vehicle, but have seen that some of them don't self-prime, and are manually primed prior to installation. Perhaps the tech support of the tensioner manufacturer would be able to confirm if yours is self-priming or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine Startup Noise

Just purchased a 2011 Elantra 1.8. with 125k miles. Already knew it needed a new timing chain tensioner. Constant tapping noise when running. So we replaced the all the timing chain components, and indeed, the tensioner had failed and the back end was blown off, so there was no tension on the chain.

So even after this repair, the car still has a rattle noise at startup for a second or two. I think the tensioner is oil pressure driven and, evidently, after the car sits for a while the oil pressure drains off and the tensioner backs off allowing slack in the chain. Why is it not holding the oil pressure/tension when off? I see other posts about startup noises on these cars. Is this startup noise just a harmless characteristic? Anything to worry about or anything else that can be done?
Are you running a Hyundai Oil Filter, Some oil filters have a one way check to retain oil pressure on start up. Would be worth a try before going further,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you saying the Hyundai filters DO have a one way check? I thought they looked pretty cheap, so I was using Mobile One 10k premium filter.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
BTW, that engine eventually had to be replaced. Thanks Hyundai!
Your noise after replacing all the timing components was the cam phasers and OCV. The cam phasers have to lock into place with the cams or it'll be rattle for a couple seconds after cold start.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
We seeing phasers bounce on the dowel pin, eats align hole, and pins come out of place due to holes in cams drilled too deep..

Overall, tension set up is lacking,, no extendo-lock to keep piston from retract that I have seen, short block build at dealer level can get RTV in passage to tensioner by over application of RTV where directed in manual during assembly of head to deck..

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Hey, that's good news. Thanks. Worked on any of these?
My niece has a 2011 Elantra 1.8 and did the timing component only to go back in and replace the cam sprockets, phasers and OCV. Not cheap at all. Four times the price of all the timing parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts