Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2001 Santa Fe and recently i ave been having intermittent issues getting it to start. when the issue arises the car will not start but i hear the solenoid clicking. the first time i thought it was a battery but I had AAA test it and they said it was ok. they also said the alternator was fine too ( at least producing enough energy to drive and charge the battery. so now i think it is a loose wire some where. on rare occasion as i drive the car acts possessed as the instrument cluster starts blinking its lights. i feel there is a corroded wire or something but since it is more noticeable on the starting system i figure it would be better to use that.
IO normal use hmaservice site but now the ETM manual does not show any diagram for 2001 to 2006 santa fe's. it works fine for newer ones. do they stop supporting the sm models?
does anyone have a copy of this schematic?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thinking of it, maybe a grounding wire has a bad connection so indeed you have a low voltage situation at startup.
Clicking solenoid is a familiar item in winter time when batteries are low power at starting the engine, sometimes under 10 volts.
However, the AAA measured the battery and alternator, i.e measured the 14.x volts at running engine?
But a starter motor is of an order of upto 150 amps or more, so a very large load to the battery.
Maybe it still functions under normal loads. I suggest you f.i. measure the voltage drop over the grounding wire at the battery, so voltage between the minus pole of the battery and the chassis or motor metal, while trying to start the engine (clicking solenoid). This should not exceed some 0.3 volts!
You also could measure voltage between plus pole and metal ground like chassis while starting. It should be 12,5 volts ore more.
If it is much under 12,5 volts I strongly suspect a faulty or stuck starter motor. Then you should undo that motor and have it checked.
If the voltage hardly changes the starter solenoid somehow does not activate the starter motor electrically, so also to be checked. Maybe the very strong wire at the starter motor which is directly connected to the battery plus pole has loosened or the motor is defective.
Good luck,
Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts