Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just been away in Yorkshire. The day before setting off home my car needed to be moved a few feet. I started it up without any problem, carried out the manoeuvre and switched off. It was a very windy night and the car was in the open. Next morning I jumped in , turned the key, she turned over enthusiastically but wouldn't start. I tried it 3 or 4 times . As a last resort I fully depressed the throttle and kept it fully down. After about 10 seconds of turning the starter it reluctantly started. Was it the wind? The small manoeuvre ? Coincidence? Ive never had a problem before with starting, and touch wood, I haven't since. I would have thought that if it had got flooded by the small manoeuvre it would have been OK the next day. Any ideas ? (62 plate i10 Classic )

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had exactly the same thing happen once and once only to my sixteen month old one with 18000 miles under its belt.

Although mine had been parked up all day. Took an age to start just continually spinning over . Was about to turn out Hyundai Assist when it sprang to life.

Never had it since always starts on the button.

So not a clue what went on there. Just like yourself,:)

·
22,788 Posts
Happened to me this past summer. Once. Scared the you-know-what out of me. Never recurred. Other posts indicate the same scenario. Just one of those things, until someone can prove us all wrong. BTW, not a moments problem since. I figured it was a gremlin spending a cool afternoon out of the blazing sun and had gotten trapped inside the system, somewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's called bore wash. I used to work for a motoring organisation and it is one of the most common problems we used to go out to. The scenario is that you start the car up when engine is cold, move it a few yards, switch off and then the next morning you find it very difficult to start. Sometimes holding the throttle fully down and cranking will sometimes get the engine started, alternatively depending on how bad the situation is pulling the fuel pump fuse and again foot flat down and cranking. Bearing in mind you have to be a bit careful as it's put unburnt fuel down into the cat. Some of the cars i went out to you might think by the sound of it that it possibly had a cam belt gone but all it was was a low compression caused by the bore wash so the morale of the story is never start a car up when the engines cold and only move it a few yards and switch off because there is always that possibility that the next morning you go to start it up it may fail to start. All you have to do is warm the engine up for 4or5 minutes before switch off if you have to move it a few yards. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responses. You deserve medal Mutley! hee hee ! I will follow your advice and make bore wash a one off .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts