Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have just picked up a brand new i10 here in Spain. It is the Essence Plus 1.0 model and puzzled by the starting procedure.

It does not appear to start after I stop and turn the motor off - I turn the key and the motor does not turn over. Then I found out if I put it in first gear (with clutch down) it would start so I thought that was the trick. But on getting home with the car it did the same thing but would not turn over whatever I did. I tried so many combinations - doors locked/unlocked seatbelt on/off handbrake on/off and in/out of gear. Then after about 20 mins it did start and I drove it onto my driveway but now it refuses to start again.
Am I missing something simple here? I have not had a car with immobiliser for some time - and is it normal for a car only to start in first gear?
I do not speak much spanish and the dealer is now closed for weekend and I only have a manual in Spanish at the moment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think you'll find Some countries state that a manual transmission car will only start with the clutch pressed down or on an automatic with the foot brake pressed but this is not the case in the U.K.

·
Registered
548 Posts
starter or starter solenoid may be going bad? may be the reason for the intermittent "no start", known as a dead spot on the starter. Or as mutley said, depress clutch is the only procedure needed to start

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had another play around this afternoon and not sure yet but it seems to be when I leave the key in the ignition too long without restarting. I've yet to to see the correct pattern but I was able to start it several times successfully by withdrawing the key altogether and switching on. It does not matter about first gear as will start in neutral using this method.
When I put the key in the symbol of a car with a key across appears and then after about ten seconds disappears - I have not sussed out why or when I should try to start it - while the symbols appears or after it disappears?

I would like to say it's a great car. I think you in the Uk are getting it this year - I have had 3 i10's including this now and enjoyed them all - this one seems really solid and holds the road like a bigger car. It seems so large inside!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ah right the light with the car/key on it does go out after 10/20 seconds on the i10 with ignition on but still starts after this. If that light was flashing it generally means the transponder key isn't been recognised ( immobiliser) . I don't think the immobiliser affects the starter motor in most cases it cuts the fuel pump/injection system. So like cubawashere says it could be starter motor/ wiring to it

·
Registered
548 Posts
+1^ Mutley #5 post ---100% correct

Also check main battery terminals. The terminals should not be able to be twisted or removed by hand. They should be clean an corrosion free. If loose, they can easily cause "no start" but be tight enough for lights and low amp drawing components (radio) to function. A starter draws above 30 amps probably the highest drawing component

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have discovered it needs to be in neutral with clutch down to start and starts first time now. I'm not sure why it sometimes started in first gear with clutch down and other times not (as I tried when I first picked it up as did not know about the neutral thing).
Anyway that is probably irrevelant as makes sense to start in neutral.

It's a very nice car. I have not investigated fully - one feature I have not seen on a car before is it suggests what gear you should be in by a little arrow and number under the speedometer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a follow up - it was still a bit erratic on starting and I sat down and read manual properly. It needs the clutch depressed AND the brake pedal depressed also..... This seems to have done the trick

Well I have discovered it needs to be in neutral with clutch down to start and starts first time now. I'm not sure why it sometimes started in first gear with clutch down and other times not (as I tried when I first picked it up as did not know about the neutral thing).
Anyway that is probably irrevelant as makes sense to start in neutral.

It's a very nice car. I have not investigated fully - one feature I have not seen on a car before is it suggests what gear you should be in by a little arrow and number under the speedometer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the update, I would have never thought to depress both pedals as a MUST to start. A+ for following up Silver!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just for everyones information the new model i10 (in the UK anyway) has to have the clutch pedal depressed to start. In or out of gear makes no difference, I found out the hard way by having to go ask the salesman why I couldn't start my brand new car on the forecourt :(
Apparently they introduced this with the i20.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai wont start unless it feels like it

Just for everyones information the new model i10 (in the UK anyway) has to have the clutch pedal depressed to start. In or out of gear makes no difference, I found out the hard way by having to go ask the salesman why I couldn't start my brand new car on the forecourt :(
Apparently they introduced this with the i20.
I have had my Hyundai I10 in Spain since 2008 from new I have always started it in neutral with no clutch depressed and it used to start.
Recently it fails to start sometimes it will start sometimes it wont.I have had it checked by mechanic on the computer and there is no fault showing.He thinks it may be a bit of dust on the starter motor I have had to call out a mechanic once because it would not start at all,he gave me a jump start and couldnt find out what caused it.It happened once I put it in first gear rocked it and back into neutral and it started.Someimes it will start sometime sit wont it is very frustrating because nobody knows whats wrong with it,will ever have another hyumdai again,seems everything is going wrong on it recently costing me a fortune

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many Hyundai models have this "feature". ;) my (e)Lantras all had it and the dealer once told me many customers had problems like this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts