Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do see a similar post here, but I was wondering if anyone had an educated guess about the problem.

2002 elantra gls 125k miles
automatic

I have a very intermittant problem starting the vehicle first thing in the morning ( this has happened twice this week, but only 5-6 times in the past year or so). It will crank and sound as if it just about to start, but not quite fire. After 5-10 mins of cranking, shifting into and out of gear, rocking vehicle (not sure what actually causes it to start, if anything) the car fires and runs just fine, starting normally until the next "event".

PLugged it in and got no codes..

The only difference I can see is that every time this has happened recently the car has been parked in a parking garage at work on a minor incline for about 13 hours.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31 Posts
How is the the level in your gas tank.

My 01 accent has a 12 gallon tank. When it is down to 2 gallons left, two things that happen.

First, the gas gage shows it being empty but the light doesn't come on quite yet. It may pop on and off every so often but stays on when I'm down to 1 3/4 gallons.

Secondly, if it was parked at any sort of an incline, it will not start. If I am able to move it into a slight, nose down position and wait a few minutes, it will start and run just fine.

I hope this helps. Let me know your findings. I am interested.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't use the gauge to judge gallons in the tank.
Fill it up, drive and note mileage, fill it up again and see how many gallons, do the mpg math
Do this a few times to get a good average.

As far as not starting, there are quite a few stories on these forums about not starting. Mine was a bad engine control relay. Do a little searching on them for ideas. Here's one:
Starting issues

Basically, no start means, no gas or no spark or no air ... now which one is missing?
When it doesn't start, take a can of starter fluid and spray it in the intake. If it starts, then you've narrowed down you problem to most likely fuel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WE ended up replacing the crank position sensor. The problem was repeating every few days, but has not happened since. I suspect it was actually a connection problem since the connectors were quite dirty, but I had the sensor and it was already apart so I changed it. Since the problem has not repeated I will guess that this may have been it. It never gave me a code so who knows.

As for the gas issue, it seemed to occur at various levels in the gas tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts