Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery is good at aboit 85% had new cable to battery terminals tightened and one replaced. Thinking connection was bad with corrosion .That did not solve problem. Over last 2 days there was intermittent problem of NO CRANK, and No turnover , did start after awhile .
But now no solenoid noise no turnover nothing ....However the car lights and clock really go down to nothing when I try to crank it now ...
Last time I started did get error codes at Auto Zone ...had been driving in OD OFF Mode to avoid some rough shifting.

Says probable transmission speed sensor needs replacement.

So is this probably just Solenoid Starter .

Car always starts in 3 to 5 seconds .
And did last time I started it today .

Seems like a short somewhere stopping the turnover...and no click from solenoid.

For now just want to get it started and drive ...then have sensor replaced ...

Hopefully transmission errror will not stop it from turning over , correct ?

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
Hopefully transmission errror will not stop it from turning over , correct ?
A speed sensor fault wont stop it from turning over but a problem with the transmission range switch might.
Have you tried moving the shifter to neutral to see if that will make it crank?

If that doesn't help try bypassing the START relay located on the engine bay fusebox.....
Move the shifter to P/N and switch the ignition on.
Remove the START relay from the engine bay fusebox,
then use a short link wire to link the two terminals of the relay socket on the fusebox as shown below.
If that makes the engine crank you at least know the problem isn't with the starter, battery or the wiring between the starter and the fusebox.

BTW, do you know you posted in the diesel engine forum? I assume your auto gearbox is mated to a petrol engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
It could be the starter relay
However, the car being a 2002, I am thinking it could be the ignition wire coming from the starter relay and going to the starter solenoid
Sometimes the connector builds up some corrosion (even in Florida).
Yes, it is a total guess. Nothing supports this guess.
But, if the starter relay by-pass test working intermittently then suspicion increases

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar problem on my pickup. My auto mechanic solved it in a few days, but before that I had dealt with this with a jump starter. It seems to me that I had problems with the starter. The starter jump remained with me and sometimes I use it on long trips. My car is quite old and you never know when you stall and how this problem can be solved. I'm not too good at cars, but if you need a jump starter, then I recommend reading this article https://truckpowerup.com . It helped me choose a jump starter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts