Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn the key on acc everything lights up radio etc. Go to turn the key to start and nothing, no clicking sound like a dead battery. Turn the key on and off a few times and starts right up. Battery is fine and no charging lights or anything. I do notice the clock light goes out when I turn on over to start. As soon as I let off the key the clock light comes back on. Loose starter wire? Idk ground?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm at work and kinda worried about driving home this weekend. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,712 Posts
Go to turn the key to start and nothing, no clicking sound like a dead battery. Turn the key on and off a few times and starts right up.
I can't remember, is yours a manual or auto gearbox? Just wondering if the park/neutral switch might be preventing the engine from cranking.

One of the first things I try when the engine won't crank is a bypass test on the START relay in the engine bay fusebox. Make sure your in park/neutral. Put the ignition on then remove the START relay from the engine fusebox. Next, link the two terminals on the relay socket on the fusebox as shown in the diagram below. If that makes the engine crank then you know the battery, starter and the starter wiring are all good so a bypass lets you quickly eliminate a lot things from diagnosing the problem.

Regards.
Scottie.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manual shift, I'll just put in neutral and set the parking break. I'm pretty sure the starter relay is labeled on the fuse box lid under the hood. Which points after I pull the relay do I connect? Assuming there is more than two contact points for the relay.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so it done it again this evening after work. I turned the key on and off restarting probably 5 or 6 times. Popped thehood pulled the start relay out and done what you said. Left the key on and it fired right up. My relay only had four prongs on it.

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Not all relays have a prong in the center, so that's normal.

So it wouldn't crank over using the key by it cranked over and started when you bypassed the relay?

Do you need to press down the clutch pedal to start the engine? If so the clutch switch would be the next thing to bypass when it fails to crank. Simply disconnect the two pin connector at the switch mounted above the clutch pedal and link the two wires on the harness connector.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it will not crank by the key. Everything lights up on the dashboard , radio, fuel pump running. Just when I rotate the key to crank it up. Battery terminals appear clean and tight. The radio, dashboard, and clock seem to disappear when in the crank position. I left the key on, put it in neutral set the parking break. Then I pulled the solenoid crossed it over and it fired right up easily. And no the clutch wasn't pressed in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just like it's completely dead, not even a click sound. Remember I did replace the whole column recently. I put my key switch in that column. I made sure the harness was plugged in good to the switch as well.

Im almost sure if you keep playing with the key on and off that eventually it will fired right up. It has gotten progressively worse. The switch was simple to change, really don't think I messed that up.(YouTube)

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
And no the clutch wasn't pressed in.
No, what I meant was do you normally need to press the clutch to start the engine. A lot of Hyundai with manual gearboxes have a switch on the clutch pedal that inhibits the starter relay until you press down on the clutch. It's a safety thing for the hard of thinking that start the engine with the car in gear. If that switch is faulty or isn't adjusted properly the START relay wont switch on, so the engine won't crank.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest Idk. I always have a habit of pushing the clutch in before starting whether I'm in neutral or not. I understand what you are saying. I will definitely take a look at it today. Very good advice Scottie, I never even thought about that having a switch. I will look and see after work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts