Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L V6 FWD with Automatic Transmission and 265xxx kilometres.

I just had the timing belt changed yesterday, and the water pump and seals replaced (water pump was leaking coolant), cost for everything including both parts and labor, $650 CAD.

There are some things I want to fix on this vehicle, some issues greater than others, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg at the mechanic anymore.

Thus, here I am, hoping I can get your assistance with the more complex DIY jobs and resolutions to issues I'm trying to figure out.

Biggest issue at hand right now: The car doesn't want to start after filling up.

It doesn't matter how much gas I fill up. It could be 10 litres. It could be half a tank, or it could be a full tank. The only difference is, the less I fill, the less time/effort it takes to get it started.

In every case, I have to turn the ignition, hold it while it struggles to start, pump the gas and rev until it finally starts, and then rev in neutral to keep it going before popping it into drive and going. The more gas I fill at one time, the longer this process takes, and if not done right, it will shut down, several times.

ANY OTHER TIME, it starts BEAUTIFULLY.

I have done some research and come across people with the same issue on the same vehicle and in their case, it turned out to be the Purge Valve. I hope this is the case because I have ordered one today off of Parts Source for $102 CAD, should arrive tomorrow and I will go ahead and try it.

Anyone familiar with this issue?
Experienced it yourself? What fixed it?
Know what the issue could be?

Help, thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
$102 ??? It be a lot cheaper to have cross the border and bought one in USA and swap it in parking lot..

Oldest one in the 2.7 trouble book.. purge leak, filling with fuel vents vapors into canister where HC vapor is trapped in charcol.

Start engine, we have uncontrolled vacuum leak drawing across the charcol bed, drawing HC vapors into intake in an uncontrolled fashion, hence the rough run/stalling until all the charcol bed is purged of all HC vapor, then we simply have a fresh air leak.

Replace the purge control valve, and carry on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$102 ??? It be a lot cheaper to have cross the border and bought one in USA and swap it in parking lot..

Oldest one in the 2.7 trouble book.. purge leak, filling with fuel vents vapors into canister where HC vapor is trapped in charcol.

Start engine, we have uncontrolled vacuum leak drawing across the charcol bed, drawing HC vapors into intake in an uncontrolled fashion, hence the rough run/stalling until all the charcol bed is purged of all HC vapor, then we simply have a fresh air leak.

Replace the purge control valve, and carry on.
What can I say, I'm an idiot. I see these parts, brand new, on eBay going for a fraction of the price and yet, each time, I'm too impatient to wait for it to arrive in the mail, so I'm stuck with hefty receipts.

I'm so glad for your response though, encourages me that this is even more likely than I thought, the issue/fix.

So weird though, an issue that seems this big, is such an easy/cheap fix. Wish they were all like this.

The gentlemen who owned it before me (original owner) said he had taken it to different mechanics and none could figure out what it was.

I thought it was a lengthy expensive fix like the fuel pump or taking apart the fuel tank and cleaning it out, etc.

Will update tomorrow to confirm in my case, it too was the purge valve.

Thanks again a bunch for your response!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
What can I say, I'm an idiot. I see these parts, brand new, on eBay going for a fraction of the price and yet, each time, I'm too impatient to wait for it to arrive in the mail, so I'm stuck with hefty receipts.

I'm so glad for your response though, encourages me that this is even more likely than I thought, the issue/fix.

So weird though, an issue that seems this big, is such an easy/cheap fix. Wish they were all like this.

The gentlemen who owned it before me (original owner) said he had taken it to different mechanics and none could figure out what it was.

I thought it was a lengthy expensive fix like the fuel pump or taking apart the fuel tank and cleaning it out, etc.

Will update tomorrow to confirm in my case, it too was the purge valve.

Thanks again a bunch for your response!
If you read through this entire site, you would see 20 to 30 purge valve problems. More than likely it will fix your problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Amazon is also an excellent source for car parts. I've purchased many things for my cars for about 40-50% cheaper than local parts stores. Shipping usually takes less than a week. Worth the wait for the savings, in my opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SUCCESS!!!

The part was in earlier than expected, picked it up and installed it myself right in the parking lot. If it took me 10 minutes it took too long.

Went to fill up, and BAM, the problem is gone!!! So happy, thanks so much guys this was amazing.

And to think my mechanic thought it would required removing the gas tank and cleaning it out, a lot of money and time and I'd still have the same issue. Thank God for sites like these and people who use it.

Now if only the Jeep forum will be as helpful towards resolving my girlfriends issue of her car randomly stalling/shutting down when stopped/idling.

The next thing I would like to do on the Santa Fe is fix the burnt "D" light on the instrument cluster, and the one burnt bulb on the climate control.

I have taken apart the climate area panels to install a new deck, the only thing I need is a part number for the bulb itself. Have gone through some threads on here in regards to it but I'm finding people posting different part numbers.

And I need the part number for the "D" light. Removing the cluster is a matter of just removing the two screws on the top?

Either way, minor things that can wait.

THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH!!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dealer can look up and order the bulb assembly for you.. be aware though, the Microcat may call out the wrong bulb.. and assembly be too long and bulb touch screen.. and it'll burn a hole in it too.. make 100% sure the bulb assembly match 150% of the lamp you removed.

2 or 3 for the black bezel, and 4 for the cluster, then partial take apart of cluster to get at bulbs.. When you go to remove the black bezel, you need to unplug the connector for the trip button, so you need to drop lower dash panel to find the connector.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
SUCCESS!!!

The part was in earlier than expected, picked it up and installed it myself right in the parking lot. If it took me 10 minutes it took too long.

Went to fill up, and BAM, the problem is gone!!! So happy, thanks so much guys this was amazing.

And to think my mechanic thought it would required removing the gas tank and cleaning it out, a lot of money and time and I'd still have the same issue. Thank God for sites like these and people who use it.

Now if only the Jeep forum will be as helpful towards resolving my girlfriends issue of her car randomly stalling/shutting down when stopped/idling.

The next thing I would like to do on the Santa Fe is fix the burnt "D" light on the instrument cluster, and the one burnt bulb on the climate control.

I have taken apart the climate area panels to install a new deck, the only thing I need is a part number for the bulb itself. Have gone through some threads on here in regards to it but I'm finding people posting different part numbers.

And I need the part number for the "D" light. Removing the cluster is a matter of just removing the two screws on the top?

Either way, minor things that can wait.

THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH!!

I've already replaced my "D" light. I kept the bag so I know the #.
It's #94368-17100

You could however rob the "1" first gear light. I know I would never look when I going down hill to see the first gear light. 2 or 3 maybe, but never first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts