Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tomorrow I embark on my first trip with my baby ( Lucy , as I have affectionately named her ). Now she has only 350 miles on her and want to know how you guys think I should handle this trip? Is it safe to go over 80MPH or use cruise this early in the game? Or should I wait until she has over 1000 miles on her first? Is it safe to drive straight through or should I stop midway and rest her up?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 15 2010, 02:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380158
Well tomorrow I embark on my first trip with my baby ( Lucy , as I have affectionately named her ). Now she has only 3550 miles on her and want to know how you guys think I should handle this trip? Is it safe to go over 80MPH or use cruise this early in the game? Or should I wait until she has over 1000 miles on her first? Is it safe to drive straight through or should I stop midway and rest her up?
Uh, did you add an extra digit there?

If you are under 1,000 miles, the safest thing is to vary your speed. I just ran up and down over about a 10mph range with the cruise control buttons (mostly) on my early-mileage road trips. Or set it to 80 and hit the brakes, then hit resume button to get back up to 80, then brakes, resume button over and over. To be really safe, probably better to do 60<-->70.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 15 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380158
Well tomorrow I embark on my first trip with my baby ( Lucy , as I have affectionately named her ). Now she has only 3550 miles on her and want to know how you guys think I should handle this trip? Is it safe to go over 80MPH or use cruise this early in the game? Or should I wait until she has over 1000 miles on her first? Is it safe to drive straight through or should I stop midway and rest her up?

confused...with your last statement...i think you mean you only have 350 miles....not 3550???? whatever i suggest, someone else will suggest something totally opposite. do what your gut tells you to do. if you treat lucy very anally (as in another post) why would you run her over 80? just asking for road rash!!!!

your mileage may vary of course! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Have a safe trip. P.S. It's getting cold here in NY, you better take the thermal clothing out of storage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since its still in the break-in period (assuming 355 miles on the car so far), try to not go over 60-70mph. And varying speeds is definitely better (but not like slam the brakes and then accelerate). Other thing to keep in mind is your entire route is going to be in cold weather (probably snow too) so your car may not warmup as fast. So give it few secs in cold start.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I feel a mini NY meet coming :p

G

·
A ~1000-mile (one-way) trip was very nearly the first thing we did with ours. It had ~150 miles on it when we left. Freeway speed limits on our trip are posted at 75 - 80 mph (yes, 80mph in some places). I drove all the way to our destination, and I didn't use the cruise control at all until we'd passed 1,000 miles. That was slightly tiring (isn't it ironic what seems 'tiring?' I learned to drive w/o cruise, and had a number of cars w/o cruise when I was younger), but I thought it was 'best' to vary the speed. The manual says to try to keep engine speed between 2 - 3k rpm, IIRC, and that's pretty much where I kept it.

To be honest with you, I'm not at all convinced that me doing this has had any impact, positive or negative, on the break-in or future life or service quality of the car. That's what I did, though, and nothing came apart or started on fire. :)

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
what part of NY are you headed to? and yah weather looks like poop for the trip up

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (The Electrician @ Dec 30 2010, 05:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384889
What happened to that global warming they promised us? I had such high hopes.
It's coming, but it wont happen till after the Rapture, and when it does, this planet will be scorched like never before in history! But I'm getting into dangerous territory right now so I'll hush! :grin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts