Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Sonata Automatic

When I turn the key to crank the starter nothing happens. All the dash lights stay fully lit, so the battery is fine Also, if I go under the hood and have my wife crank it, I can tell the starter relay in the fuse box is engaging, so the fuse is good. But the starter does nothing. Any ideas, even on how to get it going temporarily to get to the shop so I don't have to have it towed.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
If you can find the starter motor then you should be able to locate the solenoid on top of it
There is a terminal located on the solenoid
If you temporarily put a wire to battery (+) positive to this terminal then the starter should engage
And then crank the engine. Doing this with the key on .. may start the engine if nothing else is wrong
If engine doesn't crank then it may be the starter.

Starter relay clicking is a sign that it is clicking. Doesn't mean it is working properly.
And usually the fuse comes after the relay. So relay working doesn't mean the fuse is okay.
Need to test relay and check the fuse.

Please try putting the gear selector in neutral and try cranking engine.
If it cranks then park/neutral safety switch is faulty

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,323 Posts
I'd suggest removing the START relay from the engine bay fusebox and try bypassing it.

Make sure your gearbox is in park/neutral, switch the ignition on then remove the START relay from the fusebox....see below.
Now use a short link wire to bridge the two terminals on the relay socket as shown in the diagram below.

If the engine doesn't crank but you get a little flash from the relay socket when inserting the link wire, it's more than likely a faulty starter motor.
You might be able to make the engine crank by chapping the back end of the starter with a hammer.
You'd need to refit the relay and have your wife hold the key in the start position while you do the chapping.

If the engine doesn't crank and there isn't any spark when inserting the wire, there might be a break in the solenoid control wire, or the solenoid terminal might be loose.

And if it does crank, the relay is faulty....assuming it was the START relay you heard clicking before.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai Sonata doesn't crank

Hi,

I have the same issue with my car currently Hyundai Sonata 2009 GLS V6 3.3L. The car doesn't crank for more than a week now but the surprising part is, when I tried to start the car few days back, the car did start and ran like nothing failed. I thought I was lucky but wasn't. The car failed on me once again. So just curious if it is just the neutral safety switch or could be any other issue as the car did start once after the initial failure. If it is the Neutral Switch to be replaced please let me know if the below ASIN on amazon.com would help: B001TEKQQY

If there are any particular check points to be inspected please let me know. Any reference videos or images would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Hi,

I have the same issue with my car currently Hyundai Sonata 2009 GLS V6 3.3L. The car doesn't crank for more than a week now but the surprising part is, when I tried to start the car few days back, the car did start and ran like nothing failed. I thought I was lucky but wasn't. The car failed on me once again. So just curious if it is just the neutral safety switch or could be any other issue as the car did start once after the initial failure. If it is the Neutral Switch to be replaced please let me know if the below ASIN on amazon.com would help: B001TEKQQY

If there are any particular check points to be inspected please let me know. Any reference videos or images would be much appreciated. Thank you.
First begin by cleaning the battery terminals
Check to make sure cable ends are free of corrosion
Using a wire brush to clean
Clean the battery ground at chassis

This should clear up your intermittent type no crank, no start
If not then we can go from there
Clean, clean, clean

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Of course, if the engine cranks when you bypass the START relay you don't need to bother with all that cleaning. It's not likely to help.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Of course, if the engine cranks when you bypass the START relay you don't need to bother with all that cleaning. It's not likely to help.
Vignesh Rao has a different type of problem
So if the issue is intermittent as it seems to be
Then bypassing the starter relay won't tell you a thing
Even if the engine cranks intermittently

Intermittent as it doesn't work and then all of a sudden it cranks and starts up fine
Next day, same problem.
Yeah, I'd say all that cleaning is necessary to restore the electrical system back to one you can trust.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Then bypassing the starter relay won't tell you a thing
Well, I think if your sitting your car turning the key and nothing is happening, then you get out and bypass the start relay and the engine cranks, that's telling you something.

Of course, that's just my opinion based on my 25+ years experience dealing with these types of faults. Vignesh Rao is free to ignore my opinion if he so chooses and go have at it with his wire brush.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Well, I think if your sitting your car turning the key and nothing is happening, then you get out and bypass the start relay and the engine cranks, that's telling you something.

Of course, that's just my opinion based on my 25+ years experience dealing with these types of faults. Vignesh Rao is free to ignore my opinion if he so chooses and go have at it with his wire brush.
Again, issue is no crank, no start ... but not all the time
Once in a while it will start.
Intermittent .... that's the point

You are correct for a hard failure.
But, with intermittent issues, lets start by doing what it takes to bring things to a state we can rely upon.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Again, if the engine wont crank (for a week) then you bypass the relay and it suddenly cranks, that's telling you something. And one of the things it's telling you, IMO, is you'd be wasting your time cleaning connections.

You diagnose the fault and take actions based on the findings of your diagnosis. At least, that's what I do. I don't just start pulling things to bits to clean connections based on nothing. We see it often on the forum. Someone "thinks" they know what the problem is and takes an action based on what they think and just ends up making matters worse.

So, do you follow the practices of an AUTOSPARK or the ones of avistior??
I know which one I'd choose if I had an electrical problem on my car :wink:

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Again, if the engine wont crank (for a week) then you bypass the relay and it suddenly cranks, that's telling you something. And one of the things it's telling you, IMO, is you'd be wasting your time cleaning connections.
That is correct if Vignesh said that was what he did.
However, he said his car wouldn't start and then it did start and back to not starting. (Intermittent)
And he did not start the engine by doing a bypass on his relay

You diagnose the fault and take actions based on the findings of your diagnosis. At least, that's what I do. I don't just start pulling things to bits to clean connections based on nothing. We see it often on the forum. Someone "thinks" they know what the problem is and takes an action based on what they think and just ends up making matters worse.
I start by listening to the owner's complaint.
Intermittent start.
Recommend cleaning up electrical connections
This course of action should not make things worse unless ...
Owner does not know what they are doing
And I did not recommend pulling things to bits
Please don't ridicule my posts

So, do you follow the practices of an AUTOSPARK or the ones of avistior??
I know which one I'd choose if I had an electrical problem on my car :wink:
We all know how well you have help many people with their electrical problems.
And I never said I knew more than you.
But, there is more than one way to figure out this problem
Some take longer and some ways are quicker
No one way is the right way ... generally

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
there is more than one way to figure out this problem
I agree, and we've both offered our different suggestions about how to tackle it. I suggest a simple test that takes about 1 minute and you've suggested cleaning up all those connections that takes about 1 hour. So again, I know which path I would follow.

So, now that we've agreed on something I don't see the point of us discussing this any further. I think we should leave it to the guys who asked for the advice to choose which path to follow. Unless you want to have the last word as usual??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts