Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my starter motor on Santa Fe 2.2 crdi (cm) has started spinning without turning motor. It starts car after wiggling engine by putting in gear and rocking car.
I recon it's maybe a failing solenoid or bad electric connection but any suggestions appreciated.
I've got a 6 hour drive home tomorrow (where my tools are).
is removing starter simple on this car?
is it easy to rebuild, remove corrosion, or should I order a new one now so I have it waiting at home tomorrow?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this problem we m is in conjunction with a clutch problem. could they be related?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Maybe, Just a quick speed read of the clutch you say easy to select gears when motor off, so the clutch is dragging. Could be in mechanics of it or maybe there a bit of oil weeping in there and contaminating the plate and having it stick.

I only say this because if there's oil in there and dust from the wearing of the friction material that could find it's way into the internals of the starter and gum up so maybe that's why it's not engaging cleanly.

I had an old Mits V6 Galant, I had to remove the starter every 6 months and clean it out for that very reason, oil and clutch dust gummed it up. After every clean it was like a new starter and spun twice as fast, even had the clutch plate stick after going on holidays for 4 weeks,It had a bout 300000k and 20 year old at the time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's 4x4 used in deep mud last winter. when I removed plastic pan under engine to look at clutch slave cylinder yesterday, I had about 10kg of hardened mud chunks and dust sitting on the pan. it's probably from when I power washed the mud from under the car and wheel wells. I dunno, maybe it's contributed to the problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found a problem on youtube where the starter sounds exactly the same as my problem. its on a sonata, not a sanmta fe though.
the pn for a plastic fork is 36131-2G100-FFF

but im not sure its the same üart for my motor....

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
Yours is the same design.
Actually, I don't think the starter on his CRDi engine will be the same design.
CRDi engines usually use a coaxial gear reduction type motor. Often the symptoms he's describing are caused by the plastic reduction gear inside the motor failing. The motors armature spins but the output shaft does not because the drive gear is damaged.

GEAR REDUCTION STARTER

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh man! what genius designed plastic gears in a starter!

you wouldn't have a P/N for the gears would you?

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
you wouldn't have a P/N for the gears would you?
Sorry, no I don't.
You really need to either remove the starter and have it checked to find out what is wrong with it or just remove it and replace it with another unit. It might not have a broken gear. It might be the drive/pinion that's slipping.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ah sorry nevermind, coaxial gears ... my brain is knackered with all this driving. made it home funally so ill try to remove starter tomorrow -if wifey doesn't have something more important for me to do..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone know, if starter removal is from above or below in santa CM 2.2 crdi?

under battery and airbox like sonata?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
also, thinking about buying a cheapo ebay 12v rechargeable ratchet. anyone got one?
good timesaver or waste of money?
whats mininmum torque required to be usable?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
also, thinking about buying a cheapo ebay 12v rechargeable ratchet. anyone got one?
good timesaver or waste of money?
whats mininmum torque required to be usable?
I don't like power when dealing with aluminum threads. I've used drill attachments and air tools. Good for taking apart. Air tool is noisy and electric lacks torque, especially a low voltage one. The new 20v and 40v stuff is a arm twister though. But not really needed unless you do a lot of disassembly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts