Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starter is clicking.... tried the old tap tap. Still no good. Battery is filly charged.
Thinking I need to replace starter.
Who's done this And how? It's in a shocking spot to access. How you do it?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Seems pretty simplistic:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Starter is clicking.... tried the old tap tap. Still no good. Battery is filly charged.
Thinking I need to replace starter.
Who's done this And how? It's in a shocking spot to access. How you do it?
Jack the front of car up fully
Slide under your jack stands for support either side.
Slide yourself right underneath and disconnect the starter motor from the rear of the engine between gearbox and engine.
Unbolt the two mounting bolts for the starter motor.
Remove the push on plug for the solenoid and the thick positive wire for the starter motor itself.
Test the starter by applying positive to the positive terminal and the negative to the frame when out of the car.
If it is stuffed, ensure you purchase the correct starter motor. Automatic and Manual are different types.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did this change on our diesel and t get the motor out I had to remove a bracket which was securing wires. Came out much easier after that.
Luckily I have a pit in my garage so it's easier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It ain't that simple.... it's not accessible.
With the car high enough and properly supported it should be fairly easy from under the car.
One of the bolts is a bit of a pain but a short extension and a wobble on your ratchet should get you there.
It was one of the first things to come off when I did the clutch so there is definitely enough room.
You can always remove some of the air box and battery tray bits to get better access from the top for that awkward bolt. This shouldn't be necessary though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts