Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sonatagoodcar:
Starter issue: I have been working on my Sonata which needed valves caused by a broken timing belt. The car was driving (top speed 1.5 miles per hour, estimate). The starter would always start the car. No sounds coming from the starter that would indicate that the starter was going out. I pulled the head and re-installed new valves. Car cranks over but does not start. I try again the next day and the starter will not turn the engine over. The battery had been through a lot and was dead. Installed new battery and the starter will not turn the engine over. I connected a breaker bar to the harmonic balancer and the engine turns over easily. I believe that the starter is good. I do not believe that there is a short at the starter.
Is there a part of the starter that will go out without any symptoms before it quits working?
I appreciate all answers!
D.J.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Engaging and not spinning...trouble-shoot the Bendix. Check for a bad connection or corrosion on the fat-wire that goes to the solenoid (on both ends). There might be a fuse link on the battery also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sonatagoodcar:
Starter issue: I have been working on my Sonata which needed valves caused by a broken timing belt. The car was driving (top speed 1.5 miles per hour, estimate). The starter would always start the car. No sounds coming from the starter that would indicate that the starter was going out. I pulled the head and re-installed new valves. Car cranks over but does not start. I try again the next day and the starter will not turn the engine over. The battery had been through a lot and was dead. Installed new battery and the starter will not turn the engine over. I connected a breaker bar to the harmonic balancer and the engine turns over easily. I believe that the starter is good. I do not believe that there is a short at the starter.
Is there a part of the starter that will go out without any symptoms before it quits working?
I appreciate all answers!
D.J.
Engaging and not spinning...trouble-shoot the Bendix. Check for a bad connection or corrosion on the fat-wire that goes to the solenoid (on both ends). There might be a fuse link on the battery also.
I added a video in a 2nd post, the starter is clicking, can you identify the problem with this sound?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Are you turning the key on and off or is that one steady attempt to start with key in start position? I don't know that I've ever heard this problem unless you were cycling the key.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I did listen and I assume you are causing the click-click with the key...because I've done that in the past.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,662 Posts
Sounds like either :
The main power supply to the starter solenoid is open circuit.
The contacts in the solenoid have failed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts