Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 Getz SX 1.6l auto (~140 000 km on the odo) has an occasional hesitation on the starter - during the initial 1/2 sec of cranking it will stop briefly (solenoid remains engaged) then continue on as if nothing has happened. Almost as if it had to overcome some unexpected resistance - either in the starter motor itself or the engine somehow resisting being cranked...

Conditions under which this has happened:
- engine at normal operating temp
- restart soon after stopping - say within 5 minutes

Other observations:
- Only happens about 25% of the time under these conditions. Never experienced this on a cold start.
- When this does happen a longer crank than usual is needed to start, and then sometimes starts with a rougher initial idle - a good rev sorts that out.

Things I've checked:
- Tested battery no faults found CCA well within parameters
- No codes via ODBII scanner
- Asked Hyundai to check it out at last service they could not reproduce, their best guess starter motor on it's way out, but that's only based on what I told them.

Any thoughts on what this might be or things to check to narrow it down would be most welcome.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Long time cranking
Could it be the cylinder is in compression stroke and offering more resistance??
Or could it be the starter is on its way out? ...>:D

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
My '09 Getz SX 1.6l auto (~140 000 km on the odo) has an occasional hesitation on the starter - during the initial 1/2 sec of cranking it will stop briefly (solenoid remains engaged) then continue on as if nothing has happened. Almost as if it had to overcome some unexpected resistance - either in the starter motor itself or the engine somehow resisting being cranked...

Conditions under which this has happened:
- engine at normal operating temp
- restart soon after stopping - say within 5 minutes

Other observations:
- Only happens about 25% of the time under these conditions. Never experienced this on a cold start.
- When this does happen a longer crank than usual is needed to start, and then sometimes starts with a rougher initial idle - a good rev sorts that out.

Things I've checked:
- Tested battery no faults found CCA well within parameters
- No codes via ODBII scanner
- Asked Hyundai to check it out at last service they could not reproduce, their best guess starter motor on it's way out, but that's only based on what I told them.

Any thoughts on what this might be or things to check to narrow it down would be most welcome.
Need to look at the ECT sensor when it happens. Do you smell gas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be the starter... Cylinder in compression stroke - wouldn't this be a normal state for a starter motor to handle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't smell gas in the cabin - I can pop the hood and have a sniff when next it happens in the wild.

ECT sensor - engine coolant temperature sensor, correct? I'll put my OBD utility on and see what it's reading From when I had it on before I recall the engine temp is usually 90-93 C, fairly stable.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Could be the starter... Cylinder in compression stroke - wouldn't this be a normal state for a starter motor to handle?
Yes, normal state.
However, if starter is weak then cylinder in compression would offer more resistance.
Thus causing the crank to pause???
Just guessing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, normal state.
However, if starter is weak then cylinder in compression would offer more resistance.
Just guessing.
I'd considered that but I don't know how to be sure (other than replacing starter). Would warm engine when stopped increase in temperature and this affect the starter motor?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Yes, normal state.
Just guessing.
It would just be a slow crank. It would be similar resistance on every compression stroke.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried a few starts after a short time off while watching temps. Happened once when temp was 100/101.

Having it idle the fan kicks in at 100/101 and temp drops quickly to 91 where fan kicks out and temp climbs again.

Are these temps normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Tried a few starts after a short time off while watching temps. Happened once when temp was 100/101.

Having it idle the fan kicks in at 100/101 and temp drops quickly to 91 where fan kicks out and temp climbs again.

Are these temps normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are fine. What are the fuel trims?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long term: +3.9%
Short Term: Started ~+9% on start after a short trip (engine ~70 C), leave it idling went down to ~0, fluctuating between +0.78 and -4.69% with RPM. O2 sensors between 0.1 and 0.7 but Torque app doesn't read these very fast so can't see full range.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having the same issue, has happened on 2001 and 2005 Accent.
Car starts normal when cold. After car has warmed up, starter cranks very slow and engine won't start.
Battery load test indicates a good battery when problem is occurring.
Somebody suggested thermal failure of crankshaft sensor. I'm going to change that sensor and report back.
Hope that what I find helps others solve this mystery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a battery replacement some time after the above series of posts and while not a perfect solution, it did reduce the severity. Could still be a starter issue but for now it isn't a big issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts