Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Sonata, 4 Cylinder, Auto. 80K mileage, runs well.

I have noticed intermittently that when shifting either out of park to drive, or drive to park that the starter begins grinding as if it is being engaged. The last few times I have jiggled the key and this stopped it.

Googled and found some folks saying it might be the ignition switch selector but am really unsure right now. $$ are tight and I want to make the right fix but also know not doing anything will ultimately cost more.

Any experience or suggestions? TIA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

Don't want to sound like a fool, but what am I supposed to "pop"? It doesn't push down hardly at all. Am I supposed to be able to put the key in that slot and pry it open?

I just tested it running (not grinding) and couldn't depress that button at all.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thank you.

Don't want to sound like a fool, but what am I supposed to "pop"? It doesn't push down hardly at all. Am I supposed to be able to put the key in that slot and pry it open?

I just tested it running (not grinding) and couldn't depress that button at all.
pop open the lid with ur key or w/e .
ive nvr had to paly with mine so i dont know whats under but it varies by make and model. some cars just popping it up is enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had similar symptoms on my 2009 4 cyl Sonata with 63,000 miles. In addition, the starter would sometimes remain engaged even after the key was released until I shifted into drive. The dealer had to replace the ignition key cylinder and housing to the tune of $500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts