Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then the starter will click 1 or two times with no crank I replaced the starter motor still does the same thing looks like previous owner changed the battery terminals all the fuses look good ..must be the ignition switch because it still clicks or is that irrelevant

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,628 Posts
96 excel auto
In that case it could be the start inhibitor switch. When the engine wont crank try moving the shifter from 'P' to 'N' to see if that makes a difference.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In that case it could be the start inhibitor switch. When the engine wont crank try moving the shifter from 'P' to 'N' to see if that makes a difference.

Yeah I think that's it ddnt fail once out of 20 goes on neutral ...do you know where this safety switch is located and if it can be cleaned or serviced or just needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,628 Posts
do you know where this safety switch is located and if it can be cleaned or serviced or just needs to be replaced?
The switch is usually mounted on top of the gearbox where the teleflex cable from the shifter attaches. AFAIK, the switch is sealed, so you'd probably have to just replace it. I've attached a photo to give you an idea what your looking for. I don't know if the photo is of the exact gearbox that is fitted to your car though...

EDIT...I should probably mention that there is an alignment procedure when replacing the switch. It's usually not difficult but I don't know how you do it on your particular car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I watched a short video and guy reckon you can get away with realigning them sometimes as fall out of alignment .if that fails Il replace it ...not sure if it's that though as the starter clicks but maybe it's in a inbetween space or something in alignment or just intermittently faulty

[/QUOTE[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting development drained the battery a tad and now there's no click when it doesn't start so I'm guessing it's a voltage drop ...might look at the starter relay

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
You might want to have the battery checked out/ tested???
Also, don't forget to do some maintenance
and clean up the battery posts and cable terminals
and clean up chassis grounds
And engine ground strap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts