Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to do a brake fluid change, using one of those vacuum pump bleeder kits. Started with the rear driver side. I had a hard time with the pump and it didn't really work for me. I pumped that thing forever. In my frustration, I was trying different things. Once, I even forget I had reversed the pump so I'm guessing it may have pumped some air into the line. In the process, I drained enough fluid to get the reservoir pretty low, but it did not empty.

I decided to call it a day, and when I pumped the pedal it would not build up pressure. I took it for a drive around the block and it stops, but just barely. There is hardly any braking until the pedal bottoms out.

Pulled it back into the garage and got someone to assist with the standard brake pedal bleed method. I made sure they didn't put the pedal all the way to the floor. Bled the same line (rear driver side) and it came out looking fine. If that's the only line I touched, and the fluid from that line looks fine, why are the brakes not working?

Help!

·
Read Only
538 Posts
Lots of variables to offer a definite cause to your problem. Just because the fluid looks fine, doesn't mean all the air is out. You may want to continue that side a little more, then bleed the other rear. Then go from there.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Not so easy as it sounds, eh? Yeah, you got air in it. You have to start from the beginning... USING THE PROPER BLEEDING SEQUENCE... and bleed everything from the start. What it the properer sequence you ask?
Passenger Rear
Driver Front
Driver Rear
Passenger Front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Anyone have any experience with those vacuum pumps? It seems like a simple tool, but the instructions are terrible, incomplete and confusing. Reviews were complaining about it not working, and one had a tip: pump and build up pressure before opening the bleeder valve. I did that but it still didn't draw much fluid after 100 or so pumps.

There's a video demonstration on Youtube from Advance Auto, but it's very vague and not helpful. They even have someone pump the pedal, which I thought the whole point of the pump was so you didn't need to press the pedal. I intended on doing this job solo.

Glad I got the free rental from Advance Auto instead of buying one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not so easy as it sounds, eh? Yeah, you got air in it. You have to start from the beginning... USING THE PROPER BLEEDING SEQUENCE... and bleed everything from the start. What it the properer sequence you ask?
Passenger Rear
Driver Front
Driver Rear
Passenger Front.
I've always read that the wheel closest to the master cylinder should be done last, which on this car would be the driver side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK.

Off topic a bit, but where are the best places to put the floor jack and jack stands? Other cars I've worked on had visible sections of the frame. Every spot I try on the Sonata makes me nervous.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got three wheels done. Stud snapped on the front passenger wheel. Dammit. Done for today.

Lugs look pretty corroded, probably because that wheel is missing the lug cover. Going to replace all four lugs and studs on that wheel tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts