Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought these chromed FIAMM (OEM for Ferarri) air horns a while back and knew someday I'd have a use for them. Here goes:

I'm about halfway through the installation. I need to get a long piece of hose to run from the compressor to the horns. Depending on how it sounds I may run a second compressor, one for each horn (I am something of an airhorn pervert--I collect them and have more than a few spare compressors around).

I put the horns in the stock location, reusing the stock bracket and creative use of zip-ties to stiffen things up. The horns themselves weigh close to nothing but I didnt want anything vibrating. Everything is in there pretty rigidly now. Just need to locate and wire the relay, and run the long hose for the air supply. Then the daunting task of putting the grille back on. I think it would have been easier to just pull the whole bumper! (I dont have one of those little ratcheting screwdriver thingies...)

EDIT: after already seeing some rock damage to the a/c condenser (only 100 miles on it now!) I'm definitely adding some screening also while i have it apart!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 1 2010, 10:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360262
Bought these chromed FIAMM (OEM for Ferarri) air horns a while back and knew someday I'd have a use for them. Here goes:

I'm about halfway through the installation. I need to get a long piece of hose to run from the compressor to the horns. Depending on how it sounds I may run a second compressor, one for each horn (I am something of an airhorn pervert--I collect them and have more than a few spare compressors around).

I put the horns in the stock location, reusing the stock bracket and creative use of zip-ties to stiffen things up. The horns themselves weigh close to nothing but I didnt want anything vibrating. Everything is in there pretty rigidly now. Just need to locate and wire the relay, and run the long hose for the air supply. Then the daunting task of putting the grille back on. I think it would have been easier to just pull the whole bumper! (I dont have one of those little ratcheting screwdriver thingies...)

EDIT: after already seeing some rock damage to the a/c condenser (only 100 miles on it now!) I'm definitely adding some screening also while i have it apart!
If you're an air horn freak you might already know this, but you should always put the compressor as close as possible to the horns. Not doing so can make quite a delay between laying on the horn ring and actually hearing anything. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Brewster @ Oct 1 2010, 09:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360271
If you're an air horn freak you might already know this, but you should always put the compressor as close as possible to the horns. Not doing so can make quite a delay between laying on the horn ring and actually hearing anything. :thumbsup:

Yep, hence the possible second compressor. Hopefully I wont need it but the long run is a single line which only splits at the end. I'll see how it sounds, then decide. Ive actually tweaked past multi-horn installs so that the individual horns come up in sequence (by using extra hose length for each horn) so it sounds more "musical". It also makes it easier to give a friendly "toot" to cars slow to leave on a green vs. laying into it on the freeway with a long blast. Reason why I put the compressor back there is that was the only place I could find a factory hole to bolt into, plus I wanted to keep it dry.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got it in. Air horns are a pain in the arse to install but well worth it. There is a slight delay due to the hose length but there is plenty of blast once they get going. Its the perfect way I always like it. A short tap on the horn gives a gentle toot, but comes up to a full wail within a fraction of a second. I got all the new wiring wrapped nicely and you cant really tell any of its there unless you look and know what to look for. The relay and fuse are right next to the battery's positive terminal and run 12 gauge wire to the compressor. I'm happy with my first mod!

I went to Harbor Freight and got one of those right-angle ratcheting screwdrivers but havent put the grill back on because I want to go get some screening in to protect the a/c condenser.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Very nice!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is a car horn ever loud enough? its definitely louder. Like I said, however, I am kind of an airhorn pervert. On my last car I had a total of five trumpets driven by two compressors. I may do another compressor and set of horns later on, but the goal for this weekend was to just do something about the cartoon stocker.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Brewster @ Oct 1 2010, 10:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360271
If you're an air horn freak you might already know this, but you should always put the compressor as close as possible to the horns.
Indeed. If I can't put the compressor right next to the horns, I don't even consider that option. Decided on twin disc horns on this car, which look like stock. Don't sound as 'sexy' as horns, but are plenty loud to get the job done, and no delays.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 4 2010, 11:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360904
Indeed. If I can't put the compressor right next to the horns, I don't even consider that option. Decided on twin disc horns on this car, which look like stock. Don't sound as 'sexy' as horns, but are plenty loud to get the job done, and no delays.
It worked fine for me. I'll post a youtube later tonight.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (freddieT @ Nov 11 2010, 12:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370718
Robspeed, do you know the model# or name of those horns? FIAMM 66020 Riviera, or something else?

how loud are they?

thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G3KRQ8/

They are WAY louder than the stock cartoon horn, but for an air-horn pervert such as myself, I am still planning on adding a second compressor and more trumpets. I am not satisfied until people in the car next to me drop their coffee, their tires explode and their contact lenses burst into flames upon the ignition of my vehicle horn. My last car had five trumpets and two compressors.

·
Registered
486 Posts
["EDIT: after already seeing some rock damage to the a/c condenser (only 100 miles on it now!) I'm definitely adding some screening also while i have it apart! .']

A few other threads/posts mentioned adding an AC Compressor Screen Protector.
Is this like "fine mesh" screen door screen and How did you mount it?

This seems like something all should do .....................

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (CraigS26 @ Nov 11 2010, 08:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370780
["EDIT: after already seeing some rock damage to the a/c condenser (only 100 miles on it now!) I'm definitely adding some screening also while i have it apart! .']

A few other threads/posts mentioned adding an AC Compressor Screen Protector.
Is this like "fine mesh" screen door screen and How did you mount it?

This seems like something all should do .....................
its just fiberglass window screening. I was thinking of trying some metal screening folded up into pleats to provide more surface area and therefore airflow but since it is coming up on winter that idea is on the back burner for now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts