Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own an Santa Fe 2002 2.0L CRDI 4WD (D4ea motor).

I made an video and uploaded it on Youtube, you can watch it by clicking the link in my signature. It's about issue start. I have this issue since fews monthes ago. Please watching my video and tell me what do you think about my issue start. My video lenght is 3 minutes but you can jump to 2 minutes 18 when finally car start after 3 trials.

I repeat myself, you can watch my video by clicking on link in my signature.

Thanks,

Christophe

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Prolonged starting and several attempts your starter got very hot. That is not good for your starter.

That was free.
When it finally started did you touch the gas pedal or do anything else different?

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
When it did start it ran rough but the check engine light did not come on. Seems to have low power. Restricted exhaust maybe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When it did start it ran rough but the check engine light did not come on. Seems to have low power. Restricted exhaust maybe.
Hello,

Thank for your reply. I did prolonge starting just for making and show in the video. I always start assist "on the hill" (I don't know the correct spelling in english).

During the day, it's able to start. Not as fast as like before, but it does start and always about after 1-2 seconds because of hot start.

In the video, i try to touch the gas pedal sometimes and sometimes not for to see differences.

I would like to specify that my car have no loss power, or something else when i drive.

Only when it does start, i can feel car is weak when i press gas pedal. I feel it takes a little while to come, to get more power. Fews seconds later, the car is twitchy, nervous like normal after holding pedal gas.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Hello,

Thank for your reply. I did prolonge starting just for making and show in the video. I always start assist "on the hill" (I don't know the correct spelling in english).

During the day, it's able to start. Not as fast as like before, but it does start and always about after 1-2 seconds because of hot start.

In the video, i try to touch the gas pedal sometimes and sometimes not for to see differences.

Should not touch pedal during start. This can cause it not to start.

I would like to specify that my car have no loss power, or something else when i drive.

Only when it start, i can feel car is weak when i press gas pedal. I feel it takes a little while to come, to get more power.

Fews seconds later, the car is twitchy, nervous like normal.

twitchy, nervous is normal?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost time i don't touch pedal gas when i try to start. Sometimes i do but very rare, i don't know why, thanks for the advice, i will not touch it anymore when i start.

Yes, i mean by nervous, like normal.

I don't have light, and no errors in diagnostics. It doesn't mean car doesn't not have issues but just have some difficulties to start.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,393 Posts
The video only shows someone trying to start their engine
It doesn't mean much other than a crank, no start
What have you done to check it?

When it didn't want to start ...
Did you check for spark?
Did you listen for the fuel pump to prime fuel rail when key is first turned to the "on" position?
Have you tried spraying starter fluid into the intake? Did it start up right away?

If it is restricted exhaust as another member mentioned
Then have you taken off the up stream O2 sensor and tried to start the engine?

You can not figure out the issue without doing a few tests.
If you can eventually start the engine then it may need for a hard failure before you can troubleshoot the issue

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,315 Posts
Hello Christophe.

When I come across this type of non start on a CRDi the first thing I check is fuel pressure. The PCM on a CRDi wont start injecting fuel into the cylinders until a specific pressure has built up in the fuel rail.

Testing the fuel pressure is pretty easy. It's just a simple voltage measurement taken from the rail pressure sensor during crank. There needs to be about 1V output from the sensor before the PCM will start firing the injectors. That voltage will be achieved almost instantly on a good fuel system, but if there is some issue with the fuel system it can take a lot of cranking to raise the voltage that high. More often than not this slow pressure build is caused by a fuel leak, usually within one of the injectors. An injector leak off test will tell which one is causing the problem.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,393 Posts
I totally missed that it is a diesel engine. @AUTOSPARK isn't there two fuel pumps?
One fuel pump to get the fuel to the high pressure fuel pump (and the high pressure pump)??

How does one do an injector leak test??
Does it require monitoring the fuel rail pressure sensor?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,315 Posts
I totally missed that it is a diesel engine.
You need to pay more attention

avisitor said:
isn't there two fuel pumps? One fuel pump to get the fuel to the high pressure fuel pump (and the high pressure pump)??
Yeah.

I think on the Santa Fe the low pressure pump is an electric in the tank type just like a petrol injection engine.
But sometimes the low pressure pump is a mechanical vacuum/suction pump that's built into the high pressure pump. So it looks like there is only one pump on that type of system. The Hyundai Terracan CRDi being one example.

avisitor said:
Search youtube and I'm sure you'll find a few videos demonstrating how it's done.

avisitor said:
No.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello everynody, thank for yours answers again. I have some news. Not really goods but might be worst.

I noticed something wrong under my high gas pump. I found out a little leak when I checked around motor with my lamp phone, it's really minor but there is a leak. I clean under the high pressure pump gas and after fees minutes later, there is some gas again. I will show you some pictures later.

Before I found out that, I made new video. Maybe it's useless but I would like to share it:

https://youtu.be/WCNwUujVgJk

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Hello everynody, thank for yours answers again. I have some news. Not really goods but might be worst.

I noticed something wrong under my high gas pump. I found out a little leak when I checked around motor with my lamp phone, it's really minor but there is a leak. I clean under the high pressure pump gas and after fees minutes later, there is some gas again. I will show you some pictures later.

Before I found out that, I made new video. Maybe it's useless but I would like to share it:

https://youtu.be/WCNwUujVgJk
Those systems need to be leak free. The injector pump needs the full pressure and absolutely hates air.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As you took time to answer me, i do the same, thanks again.

The video only shows someone trying to start their engine
It doesn't mean much other than a crank, no start
What have you done to check it?

When it didn't want to start ...
Did you check for spark?
Sparks are news all replaced March 2018.

Did you listen for the fuel pump to prime fuel rail when key is first turned to the "on" position?
I can hear a noise when i turn on "on" position like pressure pump started to work.

Have you tried spraying starter fluid into the intake? Did it start up right away?
I did it many time last winter, car easily start each time i tried startpilot.

If it is restricted exhaust as another member mentioned
Then have you taken off the up stream O2 sensor and tried to start the engine?
I did not tried to take off it, i must check his location in my files pdf car and to try it.

You can not figure out the issue without doing a few tests.
If you can eventually start the engine then it may need for a hard failure before you can troubleshoot the issue

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well you was not far, i hope i don't have another issues. I have a multimetre, i will check it. I measured a lot of thing (intake air and t° air, t° gas, etc.. even cheaned EGR but i knew it was not the faulty because my car run like a charm, no any smoke, etc..).

Hello Christophe.

When I come across this type of non start on a CRDi the first thing I check is fuel pressure. The PCM on a CRDi wont start injecting fuel into the cylinders until a specific pressure has built up in the fuel rail.

Testing the fuel pressure is pretty easy. It's just a simple voltage measurement taken from the rail pressure sensor during crank. There needs to be about 1V output from the sensor before the PCM will start firing the injectors. That voltage will be achieved almost instantly on a good fuel system, but if there is some issue with the fuel system it can take a lot of cranking to raise the voltage that high. More often than not this slow pressure build is caused by a fuel leak, usually within one of the injectors. An injector leak off test will tell which one is causing the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My injectors work fine, i dont have troubles with because as i told before, my car run like charm and i already replaced 2 of them 2 and 3 years ago (i regret it because i'm sure they needed to be cleaned but it's ok).

I totally missed that it is a diesel engine. @AUTOSPARK isn't there two fuel pumps?
One fuel pump to get the fuel to the high pressure fuel pump (and the high pressure pump)??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly, the low pressure pump is in the tank. I cleaned it last month.

You need to pay more attention

Yeah.

I think on the Santa Fe the low pressure pump is an electric in the tank type just like a petrol injection engine.
But sometimes the low pressure pump is a mechanical vacuum/suction pump that's built into the high pressure pump. So it looks like there is only one pump on that type of system. The Hyundai Terracan CRDi being one example.

Search youtube and I'm sure you'll find a few videos demonstrating how it's done.

No.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly, It was a so minor leak that i was lucky i saw it while checking the motor.

Those systems need to be leak free. The injector pump needs the full pressure and absolutely hates air.

Now i think to replace the joint myself, hope it's not difficult. I must read files about that.

Thanks for the update

Hope it can be fixed (for cheap)
Good luck

1 - 20 of 59 Posts