Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has been caught in snow/ice with their AWD with the standard Kumho.
I am going to drive up to the mountains for a few days in a few weeks and would like to know what to expect.

I know people who live in cold areas use winter tires. In my case I will have snow cables just in case. I am hoping I won 't need to use them. I believe I should be fine driving below 30 mph.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has been caught in snow/ice with their AWD with the standard Kumho.
I am going to drive up to the mountains for a few days in a few weeks and would like to know what to expect.

I know people who live in cold areas use winter tires. In my case I will have snow cables just in case. I am hoping I won 't need to use them. I believe I should be fine driving below 30 mph.

Any thoughts?
I had standard Kumho's in my new 2012 VC. It was not too bad at all last winter, here in Ottawa. Clearly as March approached and some 20k miles on the tires, they were not as good on the snow and ice anymore. So I got real winter tires (Blizzak DM-V1s) for this winter.

So if you have new Kumho's, you should be fine IMO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got to test the AWD for the first time last week when we got some snow and ice here. I never felt like i was losing control. All my driving was on packed snow or ice.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is comforting to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience guys.
I was disappointed to see well rated Continental on the SWB and unknown new Kumho on the AWD LWB.
It looks like I should be ok for the first winter though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is comforting to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience guys.
I was disappointed to see well rated Continental on the SWB and unknown new Kumho on the AWD LWB.
It looks like I should be ok for the first winter though.
Just remember that AWD gets you going, but won't help you stop or turn :)

At least w/ my 2012 VC you would get Kumhos w/ the low and mid tier models, and then nice Michelins only w/ the top of the line model.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just remember that AWD gets you going, but won't help you stop or turn :)

At least w/ my 2012 VC you would get Kumhos w/ the low and mid tier models, and then nice Michelins only w/ the top of the line model.
Seppo, I think you had the Solus, actually rated very low on snow/ice. I guess you are an experienced snow/ice driver and managed to still use them in the cold season.

I believe all LWB: GLS, Limited, FWD, AWD, Canada included, have the same Kumho City Venture (KL33). I think that is really wrong by Hyundai.
Yes, I am aware that stopping and turning is a challenge with all season tires on ice. The thick rubber on new tires should help a bit, hopefully.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For an all-season, they're ok. We've had a ton of snow here in Alberta and a range in temps from -28C to +7C (today). Getting going has been fine, but I think that's mostly due to the AWD. Stopping has been sketchy on some of the icier stuff. Have a set of Blizzak WS70 on the way, Costco has a pretty decent deal right now on these if you go with a 17" rim, I bought the tires, including install and GST for $657 and I think I may still get the $70 VISA gift card or whatever they give to you. I'm scrambling to find rims before they get here....I would like to avoid steelies, any suggestions for a good, cheap alloy? I don't want to pay over $150/rim. (don't mean to Hijack the thread)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just drove our GLS AWD in the snow for the first time today and it wasn't bad at all. I don't know if it was quite as grippy as our Honda Pilot with the Fortera Triple Treads, but it was much better than my old FWD Maxima, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I can understand using the Kumho if you only face snow a few times a year, but I wouldn't even consider driving an all season in our winter conditions. Even with no snow on the roads, black ice is not uncommon on the asphalt with the right conditions. Agreed, you may notice only a little improvement with winters when taking off from a stop, but the difference is huge when corning or more importantly, for stopping distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts