Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ocassionally, my 2019 Elantra stalls in the road. After coasting out of traffic, it will restart immediately. It's only happened a couple of times. Once I was slowing to turn into a business parking lot. Another time I was turning with a green light at an intersection. There are no codes. Any suggestions?

· Registered
2016 Elantra GT and 2011 Elantra Touring
882 Posts
A bad CPS [crankshaft position sensor] can cause an engine to suddenly stop without leaving any trouble codes. One indication that this is the problem is.... you go to start the car and the tachometer stays at zero while cranking [and failing to start] , the tachometer is not getting a signal from the CPS that the engine is indeed turning.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Replace the CKP,, Hyundai vendors cant seem to supply good part seems like

The AD / ADA I have encountered will drop the CKP, but run "stupid". Drove a problem car home recently, the engine felt sort of BLAH, had no tach, and driving 70-80 on interstate with ESC light on.

I had tablet with me, so I scan on fly. ABS code referred me to Engine, and had CKP code, but no MIL

· Registered
1,835 Posts
a failing CPS is a typicall failure on older elantras not sure about 2019's though? usually the syptoms of a bad CPS are tachometer not working shortly followed by stalling & repeated worsening over a short time. another possibility could be dirty throttle body but that usually gets progressively worse over a broad time and eventually drops RPS's & stalling occures but tachometer stays working normally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts