Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Elantra Limited with 63k miles on it. My car started with having troubles starting after filling up with gas, then it moved to about once every 25 times I started my car, the tachometer wouldn't turn on, and the car would have poor drivability shifting gears. Now it has progressed to stalling at stop lights. It has only done it when the car is warm and I'm stopped at longer lights. Will just die, but can be restarted after a couple tries. However on restart, the tachometer doesn't work and again with poor shifting. I typically have to turn off the road and stop my car and start it again and it's fine.

I just had a new battery as well as new spark plugs and spark plug wires replaced. Car dealership cannot recreate problem so they say there is nothing they can do.

Anyone had this happen or can offer advice? Super frustrated!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are several posts already on the subject of non start after refuelling, so maybe you could use the search facility and have a read through those.

Just to confirm, your saying that sometimes the rev counter doesn't work when the engine is running?

Scottie.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Tach not working
Stalls at long lights
Tough starting engine after fill up
Poor shifting

It sounds like the whole thing is breaking down
Well, if each individual problem is taken then it is a lot
But, if we say that it may come from single source then ...

It could be powers and ground wires to the ECM
Or a short or broken wire in a wire bundle in the engine bay near some metal or exhaust
Do not know ... only guessing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! My research point to a crank sensor or a bad ignition coil. Taking it in tomorrow to have those looked at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
correct, no codes unfortunately. and when i took it in before they couldn't get it to recreate while keeping it for 2 weeks. I've had it back 48 hours and it's stalled twice while at stop lights.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,531 Posts
And again, just to confirm, your saying that sometimes the rev counter doesn't work when the engine is running?

Scottie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Louise3
I have the same problem with my 2012 Hyundai ix-35. Were you able to resolve this issue? Was it the crank position sensor? My service centre can't replicate the fault so they are not able to resolve it for me. I would love to know if you sorted it out and what the cause was.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
In case anyone is following this thread or finds it the same way I did - by Googling their car's symptoms - I recently had this problem fixed by Hyundai Service and it was the Crank Position Sensor. Now all resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wouldn’t the check engine light be on for a code if the crankshaft position sensor is bad? My wife’s is doing this on her accent and when I cranked it back the tach wasn’t working and her power steering indicator came on till I cut off and cranked it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My employees Hyundai had same symptoms. With a check engine light. When I plugged OBD scanner it came back crank position sensor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue on my 2012 veloster. Idle is horrible at start (Tachometer working) then the Tach stops and the idle is better. Can barely get it to shift (many times wont and every once in a while it will go into gear). Engine light came on and indicated Crankshaft Position Sensor. Got OEM and replaced it but it did not fix the issue. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue on my 2012 veloster. Idle is horrible at start (Tachometer working) then the Tach stops and the idle is better. Can barely get it to shift (many times wont and every once in a while it will go into gear). Engine light came on and indicated Crankshaft Position Sensor. Got OEM and replaced it but it did not fix the issue. Anyone have any other ideas?
I am having same issue with 2012 Elantra. I scanned it and P0016 cam up. Cam Crank shaft position correlation. I changed the crank and cam sensors. Oil change and Air filter. Check engine light went off and drove fine for a month then same thing. Rough idle, stall at lights and the tech didnt work. Then scanned and got p0016 again. For the **** of it changed 02 sensors,PCV. Engine light went out, got better gas mileage and car drove great for one month. Then same thing. I have 117000 miles on it. For the life of me cant figure it out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts