Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i turn the cars AC on it give soff a very stale musty and bad smell, its bearable but not nice at all.

ive taken out cabin filter few weeks ago and took out all the crap and hoovered it et... but the smell is the same any ideas how to remove it?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,840 Posts
You have some fungus or mold growing in your evaporator tray behind the dash. First make sure the drain hose is free of any obstructions. It usually comes out of the firewall in the middle.

Once you have confirmed this then spray some Lysol or other disinfectant spray into the air intake and have the fan on high. You may want to take the cabin filter out and spray into that with the fan on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can't just vacuum a filter. The musty smells would be in the actual fibers. Just change it for a few bucks and see if that solves it.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
any videos?

so i have to take the full top of the dash off?
no it would be on the outside of the windshield. scotty kilmer has a good video how to do it. foul smell also comes around when you have the max air on too long and running the fan on low too much.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Unfortunately, I have been down this road a lot. You can blast the heat on high for 10 - 20 minutes, also engage the defroster with the heat enabled.

My favorite product is BG Frigi Fresh. This you spray from the outside intake vent. They are right below the windshield. You will see the plastic trim and crate style opening. Turn your AC on, get out of the vehicle, and you will hear where the outside air is being pulled into the car. With the AC on full blast, spray the product in 10-15 second bursts. I then alternate the AC recirculate a few times. A step further is removing the cabin filter and spraying the return vent on recirculate mode.

Now, with my Hyundai’s, I catch the mildew smell when I let my fan blow after disengaging the AC. This sends all the condensation into my vents and the problem existed there. I no longer practice this method on my Sonata nor Tucson. The AC is disengaged and the fan off a few seconds after. I have had no more problems. This is contrary to the standard protocol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts