Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few days, my brakes have started to squeal like metal on metal (35k on a 2009 GLS). The rear brakes have new rotors & pads that are about 5k and the front brake pads look pretty good. This same thing happened last summer and the dealer said they would clean everything and inspect the brakes free just that one time & that this is a common problem on the new Sonatas. In fact, there were 2 sonatas on the lift next to mine with the same problem and it was going to cost them around $800 for brake jobs... anyway, the brakes are making the same sound again. The dealer last year took the brakes apart and cleaned the clips, greased sliders, etc... So I just took the front brakes apart and cleaned with wire brush, put grease on the back side of the pads were some rust was forming and a little grease on the clips & sliders... then I took the car around the block hoping for some improvement and it still squeals. I did notice that the squeal seems to be louder when the tires are turned like going around a corner and speeding up, then squeals a bit as the wheels get straightened out & when coming to a stop squeals loud & alot. Anybody have similar problems with their sonata? Could it be something else like a bearing & do our bearings get greased or just replaced? I'd like to get an idea before it goes to a dealer, it it comes to that. If I can do it myself, I would rather do that... :liebe011:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The problem is the tolerances are too fine between the pad and the caliper bracket slides. The fix is to take off the pads, grind off some metal so they fit a little sloppy. Problem eliminated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I'll try that. do you know if this is this only with stock pads? or are aftermarket pads designed the same way?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Pads should fit freely in the mounts... a lot of times, Tommy Tech just takes the pads and crams them back into the mounts, takes hammer and beats them in because they is tight.... of course they is tight, he had to beat them out with hammer in the first place.. rust on the mount bracket under the shim has raised the shim and pinched the pads in place.

You step on pedal to squeeze pads into rotors to stop, release pedal, but the pads is still stuck in place dragging on the rotor face,,, heat come along, alters friction co-efficient, and squeek..

Take the stuff all apart, and clean the rust off down to bare metal, coat it with something (used to Permatex Brake Quiet spray, now use the under coat spray from our current running recall) to slow the growth of rust.. re-install shims and pads, I like to apply MOBIL-1 synthetic lube to the shims, and the pads should fit reasonably freely in the mounts.. pul the caliper pins out 1 at a time, wipe old grease off, I use the MOBIL-1 grease on the pins to keep them lubed.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check for rust I missed, but the pads were not really that tight. they slide back into place pretty easy. If this stuff doesn't work, I might just put new rotors and pads of the front and get it over with & see if the problem was in the pads/rotors. I'll let you know any results today about filing down around the pad and getting down to bare metal... thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took everything down to bare metal with my dremel & greased all the bare metal spots with synthetic brake grease. not much, if any, improvement

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had a problem similar to that on my front pads but it was more like a creak then a squeel went to the dealer they replaced the clipes on both sides fo the calipers and problem gone now i think me back brakes are making the same noise im going to get new clips for the back and see if that hopefully works

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this may be a stupid question, but can the clips just be taken off and the pads put on the bracket alone? This would give a bit more room, but would it cause another problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts