Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 / 1.5L / Accent / 110,000 miles.

This winter the belts started squealing. Happens in the morning, in the cold, in wet weather and when turning in these conditions. Settles down after it warms up. Is this the serpentine belt or alternator belt? I have not replaced any belts yet despite the high mileage so it's time to take it in.

Also, I need to replace the timing belt.

What would be the ballpark cost at a repair shop (non-dealer) to get these belts replaced? I'd just like to have an idea before i take it in.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get that timing belt changed now if it is the original one. The 1.5 wil destroy itself if that belt breaks. The 3 accessory belts should be replaced at the same time and will require no additional labor as you have to remove them to replace the t-belt anyway. Expect 300.00 to 500.00 depending on the shop to change the belts.

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (zumghalli @ Apr 19 2010, 11:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314799
I have a 2001 / 1.5L / Accent / 110,000 miles.

This winter the belts started squealing. Happens in the morning, in the cold, in wet weather and when turning in these conditions. Settles down after it warms up. Is this the serpentine belt or alternator belt? I have not replaced any belts yet despite the high mileage so it's time to take it in.

Also, I need to replace the timing belt.

What would be the ballpark cost at a repair shop (non-dealer) to get these belts replaced? I'd just like to have an idea before i take it in.

Thanks
A squeeling drive belt usually means it's not tight enough. I had the same problem less than 6 months after installing Duralast belts. I ran out of adjustment on my p/s and alt belt. The T-belt should take 4 hours(4 1/2 when done with the water pump). That's flat rate. With that many miles you might want to have the water pump replaced too, even if it's not bad. They have to remove the timing belt to get to the water pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts