Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving a 2001 Hyundai Accent L with 55K miles. Recently, the car has begun making a high pitched squeaking noise as it accelerates. This noise immediately stops when the brakes are applied, and occurs at all speeds. It is not always present. It usually happens when the engine is cold, but occasionally begins after the car has been driving at highway speeds for 20-30 minutes.
I would appreciate any advice on how to correct this problem.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by meganb@Oct 30 2004, 10:48 PM
I am driving a 2001 Hyundai Accent L with 55K miles.  Recently, the car has begun making a high pitched squeaking noise as it accelerates.  This noise immediately stops when the brakes are applied, and occurs at all speeds.  It is not always present. It usually happens when the engine is cold, but occasionally begins after the car has been driving at highway speeds for 20-30 minutes. 
I would appreciate any advice on how to correct this problem.
Thank you.
[snapback]2177[/snapback]​

Hi!.....I`m pretty certain your problem lies with a slipping alternator drive-belt.
It`s a simple adjustment which is easy to do yourself.
Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Does the noise happen if you just rev the engine with the vehicle stoppped?

Does the sound seem to be emanating more from the engine or does it seem to be coming from beside or behind you?

I'd guess its most likley an engine noise.

Have your alternator, power steering, air con belt checked - a belt that is too tight or too loose or worn could make the sounds you describe.

A failing bearing in the water pump or alternator could also squeal intermittently and may be more pronounced when the engine is cold.

It could also be a timing belt noise because the tension is off or the bearing in the belt tensioner is failing. I'm putting this as possible but less likely since a timing belt noise us usually constant.

You'll need to get this checked by someone who is familliar with Hyundai's own particular vocal range.

If you are having work done by a dealer the timing belt tensioner and water pump should still be covered under the 5/60 warranty even if you are not the original owner. If its just the alternator belt this is considered a "wear item"you may have to pay for replacement but this is not an expensive item.

Sorry If I couldn't provide something more definitive - without actually hearing the sound the best I can suggest are first things I would be checking.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
the noise stops when you touche the brakes ?????

this could be the metal tab of the brake pad wear limiter warning.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's what I was thinking, the wear indicator.
With the brakes not applied this tab tends to drag on the disc, giving that squealing sound, which is what it is supposed to do.
When you apply the brakes the noise goes away, because the tab is no longer trying to drag against the pad at a 90' angle, it is now forced against the disc and is deflected in the direction in which the disc is travelling.

If this is the case, due for a pad change! :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree brakes would be a possible suspect as well - especially since the sound goes away when pressing the brake pedal.

My personal experience on other makes has been that the brake wear indicator sound is most pronounced coasting at low speeds - like rolling up to a stop light, but Duke and Dr H have a lot more experience with Hyundais than me.

55,000 miles would be a good time to have the brakes checked in any case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Meganb, did you end up finding the cause of your issue. I have a 2003 Elantra and am having the same issue. Started noticing the squeak a few weeks ago but the last couple days it has really picked up its frequency. Always goes away when I press the brake and immediately starts again when I take my foot off the break. The squeak also doesn't start until I hit about 38mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts