Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a squeaking noise when I start my car. It is mostly in the mornings. Sometimes other parts of the day also. I believe it is on cold start because I usually hear it when the car has been sitting for a few hours.

My first thought was that it may be the belt so I popped the hood and looked at it. The belt seemed nice and tight and there were no cracks or extensive wear on it.

Second thought was brakes. My front brake pads are good but rear brake pads are close to needing replacement. Sometimes when I brake I hear the squeaking noise but it is hard to tell because at time it feels like it is coming from other cars.

Could the brakes be the cause of this sound? Even though it is at start up and not constant.

Car is 2007 Sonata with 100k+ miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
At 100k a new belt would not be a bad idea. As noted, it may not be gripping as well as it used to.

On my car I replaced the belt and the pulley bearings at around 75k miles. I used a Bando belt. I also cleaned a bunch if gunk out if the grooves of the pulleys. That fixed my belt slipping issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts