Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something which I recently noticed with the onset of winter. When I depress the clutch pedal, I have a very audible squeak. Think old door hinge squeak. So metal is rubbing against metal somewhere inside the bellhousing without enough lubrication.....not good. I pulled off the dust boot on the side of the bellhousing and tried my best to push moly grease around the clutch fork stud, hoping that was the origin. The noise went away for roughly a half a day but is back in full force....funny how cars do that.

Space seems EXTREMELY limited on lubricating the proper area. Or....is this a warning mechanism built into the clutch pressure plate assembly to warn of replacement soon? While I am asking these questions, what is a good time to look into replacing the clutch? The parts for the car seem relatively cheap, if I replace the clutch assembly, I may consider replacing the flywheel and clutch hydraulics as well as a whole system replace/refresh.

That aside, is there anyway to eliminate the squeaking without having to crack open the bellhousing? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
there's a few options here. please note that once installed, the clutch system does not require lubrication nor can it be lubricated. put that idea out of your head. trying to push grease in is actually a TERRIBLE idea. you're risking getting it on the clutch disc which would ruin it. only thing that should be lubricated is the back of the bearing where it contacts the fork and the splined shaft which is inaccessible without taking it apart. your bearing is likely going and you managed to get a little grease on it. grease does not fix broken bearings.

- before cracking it open, you'll want to ensure that this isn't a loose belt. as the clutch is engaged the demand on the engine is quite large. this sudden torque demand can cause a loose accessory belt to slip.

- most likely scenario is the bearing is going. that requires pulling the trans off the engine. without any other symptoms its impossible for anyone here to say if that is the case without being there and hearing it. you won't know until you get in there.

- if you're sure its the bearing, yeah you may want to replace the entire assembly if it will help you sleep better at night. sometimes when these bearings go they can start to wear a groove in the fingers of the pressure plate...meaning you're replacing the entire assembly regardless of the condition of the clutch anyways. i would do the entire thing myself, a kit is not that expensive. stay away from dynapak :p

- it is completely unnecessary to replace the flywheel or any of the hydraulics at this point. its pointless maintenance, not preventative. those parts can and usually are fine for the life of the car. look at it this way: if part of the hydraulics has a problem later, is it really that hard to repair? very accessible.

- you'll want to take the flywheel off and have it machined. it should be blanchard ground to be done correctly. once installed, its not a bad idea to clean it off to get any machining coolant off if they used it. brake cleaner will do fine.

- new fluid in the hydraulic system will go a long way for future reliability. if you find a part damaged, replace it then.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I started to notice a sorta similar thing these past couple weeks when it's been very cold. Except mine is like a click and I think it's when I press it down and when I depress it it's a very very faint click (maybe it's the other way around, now I'm second guessing myself). I also feel like I am feeling it in the pedal and when I get down and push the pedal with my hand the sound sounds pretty close, like at the pedal assembly. Clutch feels and works like before.
I wanted to bring the car to the dealer for something else in about a week or 2 so might ask them to take a look at that, also getting a faint squeeky sound from my break pedal, again started with the cold.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Just run it till it drops. You change a clutch when it doesn't work anymore. I'll bet the noise goes away if you drive it long enough. Maybe it's just cold... no, you live in Jacksonville. Well, it has been cold for Florida lately.

My experience has taught me many strange car noises might be annoying to hear, but have no effect on the performance or longevity of the vehicle. Your radio is important here: Just turn it up until you no longer hear the noise.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Just run it till it drops. You change a clutch when it doesn't work anymore. I'll bet the noise goes away if you drive it long enough. Maybe it's just cold... no, you live in Jacksonville. Well, it has been cold for Florida lately.

My experience has taught me many strange car noises might be annoying to hear, but have no effect on the performance or longevity of the vehicle. Your radio is important here: Just turn it up until you no longer hear the noise.
Or my tactic-- an exhaust system. You hear that squeak, downshift-- no more squeak. ^_^

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some good points from both sides of the aisle. I will look into a clutch kit from Rock Auto to have on hand when the time comes. I'll more than likely go the route of bringing my kit to a mechanic to have done but how hard is this job on your own? Any walkthroughs? I know someone who does their own work on their front wheel drive vehicles, I might grab some help to get the project moving along faster.

Thanks for the tip on resurfacing of the flywheel. Will do when it comes to that point......which I hope is still a few months away. Sucks it's doing this at 66K miles but it is a wear item.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great strategy when the bearing grenades and you're stranded on the side of the road :rolleyes:
That would be my luck too! Just called a local shop that did my timing belt last time I whussed out on doing that project. If I bring my own parts, they will charge me $436 out the door to do it. Not too bad...but they can't do any resurfacing. Can probably go with a trans shop that will do it that can resurface on site but then figure they want even more for labor. New flywheel from rock auto seems to run $131 + the $83 clutch kit. Might break even on it.

The clutch engagement/disengagement feels fine it just the squeak for right now but I know that is an early warning. I'm kicking the ideas around. If I can find some help, I wouldn't mind tackling this one myself. Can't be that hard.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey I've got a 4-door 5 sp, 172,000 original clutch, I've had a similar squeak every time i push the clutch for about 2.5 years now, for me its where it goes through the firewall,on a rubber grommet. try listening right around that area as someone pushes pedal for you. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey I've got a 4-door 5 sp, 172,000 original clutch, I've had a similar squeak every time i push the clutch for about 2.5 years now, for me its where it goes through the firewall,on a rubber grommet. try listening right around that area as someone pushes pedal for you. Hope it helps.
Thanks for the tip, I tried it just to be extra sure. I'm confident it's coming from inside the bellhousing itself. Does anyone know if an OE clutch kit is available? I found this:

05-107 Clutch Kit: Hyundai Accent - 8½"

I hate that it's sqeaking like this at only 66K miles. And it is sporadic. Some days it is doing it and some day it is quiet as a mouse. Could it be some clutch dust, dirt in the worst area to make a squeak that is more annoying than dangerous? I'd hate to spend $600+ on whole procedure just to hear everything was okay just some dirt/clutch dust in the wrong place.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 09 Accent clutch pedal squeaks when it's cold as well. ~59k miles. I'm having the dealership look at it and/or grease it when it hits the shop in 2 days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts