Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this was already posted but I did a search and nothing came up. I have a HORRIBLE screeching, squeaking noise coming from my back seats. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Anyway, I feel like it's coming from the right passenger back seat, but I don't know the exact spot. It's so bad I have to turn the music up so I can't hear it. It happens especially when I drive over bumps. Anyone else having this problem? I folded the seat down and sprayed the metal part with WD-40 where the bottom of the seat connects to the back of the seat, but I don't think this is the problem area. It didn't help. I need an oil change anyway, so maybe I'll just ask the dealership when I take it in, but anything I could do myself sooner would be nice before I got NUTS! :eek:

·
22,793 Posts
Let me know what you find out from the dealer. The only thing I could have guessed at would have been "if the seat is secured into the latching mechanism." I saw some posts a few years back about "rattles." And it was the seat not being fully engaged into the latching mechanism. But those posts described "rattles," nothing like what you are describing. Nails on a chalkboard. That would drive me totally beyond the brink!

·
Registered
353 Posts
My back passenger-side seat seems to move/vibrate a lot. Initially there was some noise from it, but nothing like you are mentioning. After 8 months it still vibrates, but the noises have stopped.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Capt_Canuck-
The vibration I'll bet is the headrest shaking, I had the same thing and spoke with the dealer, it's natural but is dependent on the seats angle. If the seat is straight up it's much more pronounced, lean it back and its much less pronounced if not even noticeable.

Dillweed818-
That screeching may be from the cargo styrofoam, give that tray a good shake and jiggle from behind the passenger seat to reseat it, that may help. There was a SFS owner that tightened the seat floor bolts he felt were loose. I don't know the torque but ask the dealer to check it or ratchet them yourself for a try. Nothing like a screech or a rattle in a car........I've got enough rattles in my head to worry about, don't want them in a car.......:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll give those a try. My car just turned over $12,000 miles and it's actually been going on for a few months, but I usually like to rock out in the car, so I don't notice most of the time ! :) It's those times where I just want to relax with a little silence...Not so much! I just feel like the seats could be a little more solid, ya know? Sometimes when I'm driving and I take a look at the back seats, (to see where that wretched sound is coming from) I can see the seats shaking when I go over road bumps. That's really been my only complaint. I'll try this and let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. My passenager right seat seems to be making a metal on metal rattling noise. It's been going on for a while and seems to rattle a lot of bumps as well. I tried to take a look and can't find anything wrong. It's starting to get annoying.

·
22,793 Posts
......I've got enough rattles in my head to worry about, don't want them in a car.......:(
Now, here's someone I can totally relate to.

One peep outta the cabin, anywhere, and I'm on a mission to search and destroy the enemy! I know that nothing can stay perfectly tight forever, but until which time that begins...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Try loosening the seat to floor mounting bolts and then tighten them back down. This may take care of seat noises.

·
Registered
93 Posts
had this same rattle/squeek on my LWB coming from mid row passenger captian chair. i could see the backrest (not headrest) rattling while driving, making a leather on leather squeak. Dealer tightened the seat bolts and ballanced the rear tires. this fixed it......for about a month.....is is starting to squeak again.....just my experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same issue with my 2.0 T AWD with back seat vibration. I have now 30k miles. Looking back in the rear view mirror I see the head rest vibrating like crazy!

·
Registered
48 Posts
All the seats will vibrate with no weight in them. My passenger front seat and back seats do but I dont get any noise. Only noise I do here is from the Styrofoam in the cargo area which I plan to tackle once the weather warms

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have this same squeaking sound coming from my right rear passenger seat as well. It is not coming from the styrofoam. I slid my right rear passenger seat forward to stop the noise, but it is quite annoying having the seat slid completely forward.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a similar rattle coming from the back seat.
My wife has determined that the rattle is coming from the cupholder in the rear arm rest and has put rubber backed foam between the part of the cup holder that slides out and the armrest it self. This stops the noise as long as the foam stays in place.

When it gets warmer I will take the arm rest off and see if the noise has gone away, if so the arm rest will only go back on when I trade the vehicle which maybe sooner that later.

·
2,258 Posts
find the source of the noise. like some said, it could be simply the leather rubbing against one another, a loose head rest, or the bottom portion of the seat.

mine rattled at the latch. i applied a thin(but generous) layer of black electrical tape, and it no longer rattles. the latch bar was a little too thin for the lock on the seat portion

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a similar rattle coming from the back seat.
My wife has determined that the rattle is coming from the cupholder in the rear arm rest and has put rubber backed foam between the part of the cup holder that slides out and the armrest it self. This stops the noise as long as the foam stays in place.

When it gets warmer I will take the arm rest off and see if the noise has gone away, if so the arm rest will only go back on when I trade the vehicle which maybe sooner that later.
You sound like you are dissatisfied with your vehicle, can you elaborate on why that is?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well lets start at the front end and work towards the back end.

1) The dash has now been taken out 3 times to fix the creaking and only time will tell if it is fixed again even though according to the dealer they have/had a fix from Hyundai Canada this time.

2) There is a rattle from the rear arm rest that you have already read about.

3) There was a squeaking sound from the left rear quarter sounded like styro foam. The panel was taken off and additional foam put between the panels.

4) Every time you go over a bump slowly either going forward or reverse there is a creaking noise especially noticeable when going up an incline. We have been assured that it is not related to the suspension.

The vehicle is 14 months old and I have less than 8,000 km on it.

When driving on a smooth road the car is perfect, the mileage is OK and the performance is good.

The question my wife keeps asking is should we consider getting rid of the vehicle the answer is yes but what to replace it with is the question.

In conclusion for a vehicle that was over $40,000 it does leave something to be desired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for your quick answer. I am looking to buy a new limited and am having qualms about it as I'm we all do when we plan on spending so much money!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Make sure you take it for a good long test drive as well as taking a hard look at the competition.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts