Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting way ahead of myself and looking into the future of my accent...

What's the major advantage of coilovers vs lowering springs?

Also, how much drop can you get out of coilovers?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You're obviously looking at dropping your car low so I won't go into much details. Coilovers will get you lower than just springs. They are expensive though. They offer a lot more tunability, more that what most people use them for.

Unfortunately there aren't any cheap coilover setups available for our model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, the more I've been thinking about it today, I'll probably just go with 1.5" drop springs. With coilovers always being under full load, seems like it would be a rougher ride than springs. Plus, I've seen that tires can get eaten up pretty easily at 2" or lower, even with some rolling of the fenders.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (alongenemylines @ Aug 4 2010, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347227
yeah, the more I've been thinking about it today, I'll probably just go with 1.5" drop springs. With coilovers always being under full load, seems like it would be a rougher ride than springs. Plus, I've seen that tires can get eaten up pretty easily at 2" or lower, even with some rolling of the fenders.

who cares about tires,most people low & stretch tires to prevent major rubbing,but get some beefier ones if you're worried about that.

p.s: go hard or go home.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (audobon @ Aug 5 2010, 01:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347258
who cares about tires,most people low & stretch tires to prevent major rubbing,but get some beefier ones if you're worried about that.

p.s: go hard or go home.
No need to tell me that. I bagged my s10 when I was 18 and usually drove 1/2" off the ground, all tires tucked.

The accent needed to stay a little more daily-friendly though.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The only benefit to coil overs is corner weighting.
The other benefits, like adjustable dampening, adjustable rebound, etc.. is from the shock/strut design which can be had whether they are coilovers or not.

That aside, coilovers usually come as a more complete suspension package than coil spring setups. Many include pillow ball mount tophats with camber/castor plates. They also allow a far wider selection of custom spring rates, ie ERS.
On my last car I did not need coilovers because I was able to piece all of the above upgrades together with separate products. I only lacked the adjustable height and the ability to corner weight.

·
Registered
763 Posts
give me 15-18 days and ill sho you how low coilovers can make our cars :thumbsup: .

·
Banned
873 Posts
QUOTE (alongenemylines @ Aug 4 2010, 09:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347227
not correct, most coilovers have damper pressure adjustable setup where you can adjust the roughness to your setup, in fact i have driven my friends 7th gen accord coupe with tein ss coilovers and it rides smoother/softer than his previous bouncy eibach pro kits. If your looking to spend money on lowering get it done right from beginning, if you think coilovers are too pricy than dont cheap out and get springs only, get shocks as well, its totally worth it and save you less hassle in the future

·
Registered
709 Posts
i dont think there are any aftermarket shocks available for our cars yet. I know there are KYB GR2's but those are just factory replacements. The damping and rebound rates should be the same as stock. Higher spring rates + stock shocks/struts = bouncy ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts