Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...greetings from the MD side of life.

I was just perusing the specs on the new Elantra Sport and was a little disappointed to find the 6-speed manual is rated at a paltry 22 MPG city and only 30 MPG highway. My dad's boat of an Acura RL will match that highway figure with a big V6 and AWD. The DCT seems a little better at 26 city, 33 highway but is the real world mileage really this bad or worse?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The price of power. My guess is you can do better, mid 30s if you stay out of the turbo. I find with my 15 MT that you need to get into 5th quickly and 6th when possible to get the best mileage. Being in a higher gear should temper the turbo a bit and without the automatic kick-down it will be easier to build too much pressure with small inputs.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Sure lied about the 2.0L engine with highway of 37 mpg, was averaging 50 mpg if I held it at 65 mph, dropped to 46 mpg if I drove it at 75 mph like everybody else.

But this was with what we call summer gas, just made a 352 mile trip last Friday on this stupid winter gas, and only averaged 37 mpg. Now they are being honest.

Ha, not suppose to be political, but how can you help it, was a far better country in the 60's when we only had four governmental agencies, now the count is around 1,525, ha, ask your congressman to name them.

The word deductible didn't even exist back then, want more HP, just drop in a larger engine, nobody cared, especially your insurance company. Now you have to think twice about changing a light bulb in your car, may not be covered.

Wanted to drill a well in my own land, just did it, now need up to 40 permits, had far better roads with a nickel a gallon gas tax, today can't even repair potholes at over a half a buck per gallon. Property taxes was only a couple of hundred bucks per year and we had good schools, over 25 times the amount today, and if you don't teach your kids, will be just as dumb as their teachers. This list goes on and on. Ironically, still the greatest country in the world, but certainly not the way it use to be.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Boy this thread skidded off the road.

The good old days.

No interstate system to maintain
Lead in gas and paint
Asbestos brake shoes and drums to collect the dust
DDT, we don't need no stinking birds of prey
The Cuyahoga River on fire from oil spills
SMOG
Skull splitting metal dashboards

When was is safe to not teach your kids and rely on the schools?

Merry Christmas

Be careful for what you wish for.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hey all...greetings from the MD side of life.

I was just perusing the specs on the new Elantra Sport and was a little disappointed to find the 6-speed manual is rated at a paltry 22 MPG city and only 30 MPG highway. My dad's boat of an Acura RL will match that highway figure with a big V6 and AWD. The DCT seems a little better at 26 city, 33 highway but is the real world mileage really this bad or worse?
I think they are being realistic. Turbo with ample horse power. They know people will put their foot in the gas pedal. What's the point of owning of owning a Sport model unless you drive it like one? :grin2:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only reason I ask is my friend has a 2017 Civic Si that is also turbocharged with a bit more power (205 vs 201) and he easily cracks 40 MPG on the road. It's rated 28/38 while the Elantra Sport is closer to Civic Type R mileage (22/28) without Civic Type R performance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently bought an Elantra Sport early this month.

These are my current results with someone who has a lead foot.

If you drive it normally and stay within 65 - 70 mph you can easily go past 40mpg. Even in stuck and go traffic I averaged 26mpg at worst.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only reason I ask is my friend has a 2017 Civic Si that is also turbocharged with a bit more power (205 vs 201) and he easily cracks 40 MPG on the road. It's rated 28/38 while the Elantra Sport is closer to Civic Type R mileage (22/28) without Civic Type R performance.
Took the words right out of my mouth with the Civic Si. This 1.6 in the Sport is reliable, responds well to mods and has decent power but is not efficient at all. Sure if you keep on cruise control at 65mph on flat land, you'll get mid 30's. But any city driving and it goes downhill fast. The Civic Si kills it mpg wise (both city and highway) and is more powerful.

What's really sad is the regular Civic 1.5 is about as powerful as the Elantra Sport's 1.6 (from dyno tests) yet handily beats the Si mpg wise. So it's even worse when you compare that car.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Truth be known for mpg rep —> Hyundai < Honda. Andrew is really dragging his future purchase decision on and on. Andrew is deeply intrested in what his car is receiving per his prior notes of logging his MPG. Given this strong attachment to keeping track, in my personal opinion, he would be happier with a Honda product.

I agree with what’s been shared so far (basically the stated mpg stated is what the consumer will see). I’m basing this off of my current purchase which is the 2018 Sport model.

the problem - most if not all consumers whom purchased the Sport model have customized their car; basically leaving the long term mpg evaluation unknown (as of OEM standards) due to the factor mentioned above.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Considering that the next car I get might be an ES, the MPG is tolerable given that my current 09 Corolla XRS was also rated 22/30 but with 42 less hp (158 hp)...I average about 26-27 MPG.

Honestly, when I bought this car I probably should've considered the mileage I was getting, which was horrible compared to a regular Corolla with 30 less horsepower and better MPGs. My Corolla has the same engine as many other Toyotas as well as the now gone Scions. The way my engine was setup, it was a lot more torquey than the way it was in the Camry. Much like my Corolla, the Gen 1 tC and Gen 2 xB had the same engine, and all got horrible MPG.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL (no packages)
489 Posts
I had a 16 Elantra SE with the 1.8 engine rated at 36mpg. That car regularly got 45mpg up to the day I traded it off.

I traded it for a 17 Sonata SE 2.4 rated at 36 mpg. This car will get over 40mpg on long cruises at 70 mph.

My point is... Hyundai seems to under rate the fuel economy because a bunch of whiney people with lead feet couldn't get the advertised mpg. Hyundai was sued. The U.S. government made Hyundai pay huge fines.

With a Hyundai you'll get economy when you drive it like an economy car.

This pic is from the Sonata after a 50 mile drive on thanksgiving day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 16 Elantra SE with the 1.8 engine rated at 36mpg. That car regularly got 45mpg up to the day I traded it off.

I traded it for a 17 Sonata SE 2.4 rated at 36 mpg. This car will get over 40mpg on long cruises at 70 mph.

My point is... Hyundai seems to under rate the fuel economy because a bunch of whiney people with lead feet couldn't get the advertised mpg. Hyundai was sued. The U.S. government made Hyundai pay huge fines.

With a Hyundai you'll get economy when you drive it like an economy car.

This pic is from the Sonata after a 50 mile drive on thanksgiving day.
Sadly this is what I thought too but after getting my Forte5 SX with same exact powertrain I can BARELY hit 30 if I keep it in the low 60's MPH... Yes, it hits its paltry 29 MPG freeway rating but just barely... This is also manually calculating mileage and not trusting the trip computer which is a full 10%+ too optimistic. For the value and reliability of these cars, I'm willing to sacrifice but also keep in mind Hyundai promised 27/38 when the engine launched 6 years ago... My theory is the bean counters said "Hey, let's run it rich and we'll save a few bucks on warranty claims and impress with our reliability", Meh, should be at least 5 MPG more...

Now, the 2018 models are subject to yet an even little stricter rating that has dropped it from 33 to 32 freeway with DCT, but I'm curious what the real-world results are, hand calculated, and if they are really 32-33 at 75 MPH for road trips, I'll consider trading in my Forte5, but instead am leaning towards a low mileage Audi A3 that is quicker, has AWD and still gets 33 MPG.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I think you should easily beat 30 highway. My Tucson is rated at 30 and I can easily get 33-34 running in the upper 70's with the 1.6T/DCT. Unless the gearing with the MT is that much lower (higher numerically).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Boy this thread skidded off the road.

The good old days.

No interstate system to maintain
Lead in gas and paint
Asbestos brake shoes and drums to collect the dust
DDT, we don't need no stinking birds of prey
The Cuyahoga River on fire from oil spills
SMOG
Skull splitting metal dashboards

When was is safe to not teach your kids and rely on the schools?

Merry Christmas

Be careful for what you wish for.
air was clean, and sex was dirty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts