Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
hi I did explain to them it has already been checked for error codes on a computer, in fact a few "computers" where used. they said that its £45 per hour and might have to leave it with them a few days so they can drive it around. I have no problem paying if they find the fault as you say and happy for them to have it a few days. I know its a lost cause putting that to them but could be tried. They say that as they are a hyundai dealer their computer gear is far better than that of the car electrics. really fed up with this as can't use it at all. I have also since read that the accelerator pedal could be at fault, it doesn't use and cable but the sensor (i think) could be playing up? thanks

Terracan diesel auto problems

I have a 2003 Terracan diesel auto which has just started to play up. When driving and more power required, the engine light came on and then went off when power backed off. Eventually, it started to come on more regularly until the engine suddenly died. Crankshaft sensor was diagnosed and changed but now, even when stationary, when the engine is warm, if the revs go above 2500, it just dies. Any suggestions?

I have a 2003 Terracan diesel auto which has just started to play up. When driving and more power required, the engine light came on and then went off when power backed off. Eventually, it started to come on more regularly until the engine suddenly died. Crankshaft sensor was diagnosed and changed but now, even when stationary, when the engine is warm, if the revs go above 2500, it just dies. Any suggestions?
First things first. Take it back to whoever replaced the crankshaft sensor and tell them what is happening now. They should plug in the diagnostic tool again and test the engine "under fault conditions", that is, warm up and accelerate to the point it dies. If the problem is sensor related, it will issue the error code. Sometimes it could be something left loose or not well plugged.

Pls let us know your findings.

I will do that but when it originally broke down last Friday, the AA diagnostic said crankshaft sensor (as did my garage when it was recovered) and the code went when the sensor was replaced. The fault now (and the start of the original symptoms) seem very much like the post about the brake switch.

It wouldn't be the first time anyone has two separate and unrelated problems happen at the same time. Why don't you print out the "brake switch" post and solution and take it to those guys? The brake switch part is cheap and replacing it takes about 5 min. It can do no harm.

I have just been to the garage and they will change the brake switch. Whilst I was there, I got them to statrt the car and get it warm. When the engine is raced (above 2500) the rev counter will suddenly drop immediately to zero. Sometimes the engine will stop and sometimes it recovers. The fault code now is 0340 - crankshaft sensor malfunction but that has been changed. The MAF was also changed a couple of weeks ago following a fault code. I will wait to see what happens when the brake switch is changed. Is there any difference betwwen the Hyundai dealers test set and my garage's Snap On one?

I have just been to the garage and they will change the brake switch. Whilst I was there, I got them to statrt the car and get it warm. When the engine is raced (above 2500) the rev counter will suddenly drop immediately to zero. Sometimes the engine will stop and sometimes it recovers. The fault code now is 0340 - crankshaft sensor malfunction but that has been changed. The MAF was also changed a couple of weeks ago following a fault code. I will wait to see what happens when the brake switch is changed. Is there any difference betwwen the Hyundai dealers test set and my garage's Snap On one?

Lets apply some logic here. If the ECM issues an error code related to certain sensor. This sensor is replaced for a new one. Later, the same error code is issued again.... I strongly believe the problem is somewhere along the wire harness, and not the sensors.

Logic: Sensor is good and ECM is good but still getting error code. Problem is in the connection between the sensor and the ECM.

Is there a possibility to "test" those sensors in another Terracan? It would be interesting to find out this sensors work fine in another car.

The local garage have now changed the brake switch. So we have had air flow sensor, crankshaft sensor and brake switch changed. The fault is still - when the engine is warm, revving above 2500 causes the rpm to flick down to zero and sometimes stops the engine or it recovers. Fault code now are 0340 crankshaft sensor and 0100 air flow - both of which have been changed. I guess the only solutionis to take it to the main dealer now?

The local garage have now changed the brake switch. So we have had air flow sensor, crankshaft sensor and brake switch changed. The fault is still - when the engine is warm, revving above 2500 causes the rpm to flick down to zero and sometimes stops the engine or it recovers. Fault code now are 0340 crankshaft sensor and 0100 air flow - both of which have been changed. I guess the only solutionis to take it to the main dealer now?

Just checked the service manual and found something interesting. The ECM has three plugs going in. All the signals and wiring coming from the MAF sensor and crank sensor go in the center plug.

Continuing with the "logic" diagnostic, your problem is happening when the engine gets warm. What changes with warm engine? Many things, including vibration issues and sensor readings. I still think your problem is at the wiring harness. Your car must have some shorted or braided cables in the wiring harness, or a false contact (corrosion or dirt) in one or several wire harness plugs.

The ECM is located under a metal panel, under the front passenger floor, near the firewall. I suggest taking a closer look at the plugs connected to it. At least, you should unplug the cables, spray them with good contact cleaner and plug them again. This could take a few minutes only and almost no cost.

I have the fuel management service manual for the 2.9 CRDi engine. Its a 40 Mb file. Let me know if you would like it and we will find a way to send it to you.

hi still doing this so its still parkd up :( this is no good as i really need it and now its also keeps locking the doors! aaaahhhhhh just whish i knew what it was, i was really hoping there would be an error code :( please help

hi still doing this so its still parkd up :( this is no good as i really need it and now its also keeps locking the doors! aaaahhhhhh just whish i knew what it was, i was really hoping there would be an error code :( please help

Locking the doors? My God, what you need is a fist edition of the Gutemberg Bible, a gallon of holly water and a crash course in exorcisms....

I just uploaded the service manual (fuel management) for the 2.9 CRDi engine. Feel free to download from Download TERRACAN 2.9 FL SERVICE MANUAL.PDF from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Take your time reading it fully. It explains everything possible with the fuel management and testing procedures.

Let me ask you a couple of questions: _Did you bought your Terracan from new or used? Has anyone done repairs or work around the wiring, ECM, etc? (like installing a new head unit, alarm, etc).

This is beginning to sound like there are some things (cables and wire harnesses) with loose contacts, broken cables, bad grounding points or shorted circuits.

hi i bought the Terracan used but low miles, 1 owner still under warenty. as far as i know knowbody as done any work around the wiring, ECM, etc and all i have had to do was get it service, just basics never anything more needed. i have had it a few years without ever having any problems. i read somewhere (here i think) that the accelerator pedal could be at fault, although i would have thought it would have come up with error code? thanks so much for helping :)

Vehicle is with main dealer who confirms codes 0100 and 0340. He put bak the old crankshaft sensor and code still remains. On monday they are cheking ECM with 'scope but are saying it looks like ECM fault???

Code 0100 refers to EGR valve malfunction (exhaust gas recirculating valve). Valve may be stuck open or closed, or otherwise, sensor to it may be bad. Possible malfunctions: EGR valve, EGR selenoid valve, pipes connecting EGR valve to exhaust manifold. Last thing to check ECM.

Code 0340 refers to CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (not the crankshaft sensor). The crank sensor will issue error code 0335. Possible malfunctions: Sensor circuit open or shorted, sensor itself. Last thing to check ECM.

Of course, both errors (as with any error) may be generated by bad connections (boken or frayed cables, rust in connectors, etc).

Pls let us know your findings and outcome.

hi any more ideas please? thanks

Sorry to see you are still having problems.

As I can remember from your case:

1) Loss of power after driving for a while.
2) Got diagnosed and no error codes issued.
3) Replaced the infamous brake switch.
4) Now power door locks activate all of a sudden.

I presume to took the car to the Hyundai shop. They are not able to find the problem.

At this point, my only suggestion is to try (with the help of the Hyundai shop) to swap the ECM with another Terracan and test drive the car. They should be able to find a "donor" Terracan for the test.

In the meantime, I am uploading another service manual that has detailed description o how to test all the sensors in the 2.9 crdi engine.

This is the download link: Download FLB.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Read troubleshooting pages 16 to 19. I believe it describes your problem (engine). As you will see, there are many possible causes.

Terracan error codes

Robert,
The main dealer has error codes now of 0340 and 0335. They say they have eliminated the ECU and have now changed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors but fault still remains. Just to recap, if the engine revs above 2500, it cuts off and will not start again for a while but gives no indication why not. It is is possible to drive it at below 2500rpm but again, when the engine is turned off, it will not start again. They are in contact with Hyundai UK technical but are still no further forward or so it seems.

Rick Johnson

Robert,
The main dealer has error codes now of 0340 and 0335. They say they have eliminated the ECU and have now changed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors but fault still remains. Just to recap, if the engine revs above 2500, it cuts off and will not start again for a while but gives no indication why not. It is is possible to drive it at below 2500rpm but again, when the engine is turned off, it will not start again. They are in contact with Hyundai UK technical but are still no further forward or so it seems.

Rick Johnson

This sure is a nasty situation. Indeed those error codes call for crank and cam sensors, but apparently, they are not at fault since they were replaced new. Also, they ruled out ECM (I presume they tested with another ECM???).

I know shops become "lazy" with this sort of problems, because mechanics are paid by pre-established labor/time charts. Situations like this make the mechanics spend many hours on which they are not getting paid, so they tend to set aside the problem and work only when "they have some spare time".

About your car, since error codes are issued and the corresponding sensors were replaced with no results, and also the ECM was replaced, there is (by logic) only one extra situation that may be producing the problem: That is the wiring harnesses.

It wouldn't be strange to discover that somewhere, the a harness loom is knicked, frayed or broken, causing all this problems.

By looking at the service manual, pages 26-27 (FLB.pdf) where the ECM plugs are shown, I notice that both the crank and cam sensor signals both are in the middle plug (E03-2). So there is one common denominator to have a closer look to. It means that the wiring for both sensors go in the same wire harness and loom, which in term, travel the same paths around the car's parts/panels.

Just as reference, this same wire harness and loom (E03-2) carry the signals for the ECT (engine coolant temp sensor), MAF (mass air flow), IATS (Intake Air Temp Sensor), as several injectors, throttle and fuel related sensors. All this is related to engine temp conditions which change according to sensor signals. It explains why after the problem arises, it is hard to start for a while.

By all means, please keep us posted on your findings.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.