Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Accent I'm having problems with the speedometer. Speedometer stopped working with the odometer as well. My temp gauge and gas gauge work fine. Check engine light came on, gave code p0501 which is the speed sensor. Just had Firestone replace it but it didn't fix the problem.

He gave me two conflicting things. He said that when he span the gears at the end of the cable there was nothing going on at the speedometer.

But then he said that the cable wasn't making contact with whatever it needs to in the transmission. So he said it was something in the transmission.

My problem with that is, if it was something in the transmission, shouldn't the speedometer have moved when he span the end of the cable with his hand?

What else could it be?

Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just a heads up. On your year, the cable drives the speedo AND a magnetic reed switch inside the speedo cluster. The reed switch is the "Speed Sensor". It sends 4 Ground pulses to the ECM and also to the Data Link connector for each rev of the cable.

A broken cable would prevent the speedo and the reed switch from functioning.

I don't want to second-guess Firestone, but maybe this info will be of some help.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a heads up. On your year, the cable drives the speedo AND a magnetic reed switch inside the speedo cluster. The reed switch is the "Speed Sensor". It sends 4 Ground pulses to the ECM and also to the Data Link connector for each rev of the cable.

A broken cable would prevent the speedo and the reed switch from functioning.

I don't want to second-guess Firestone, but maybe this info will be of some help.

Jim
Be my guest to second guess them lol. They had to end up refunding my money because they spent 5 hours on it and couldn't figure out the problem lol

They recommend I go to a transmission shop, but I don't quite see it being a problem with the tranny, although I very well could be wrong.

I'd go to the dealership but the only hyundai dealer here charges a $95 diagnostic fee that doesn't go towards repairs, and I don't have an extra $100 laying around (hence the reason I'm driving this car lol.)

I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
^^ good advice. the faulty part could be confirmed with a multimeter....and im still ticked at hmaservice for going to pay site (probably for the same crappy site that barely works) and as a result i can't really look up anything!

AARRGG!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it in today, They said it was the speedometer cable.

Now my question is, what would be cheaper.

They'll charge me 290 tax and diagnostic fee included to replace it.

If I take it somewhere else Ill have to pay the 95$ to the dealership, and then whatever else it'll cost to get it repaired somewhere else. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I don't know where else to take it where it might possibly be cheaper.

Once again I appreciate everyone's help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we can't know what the prices are for you, my crystal ball is in the shop right now.

pick up the phone.
I've called 5 different places, and none of them will work on it. I didn't want an exact price, I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar job done and if that sounds about right. They said it was a 4 1/2 hour job, I don't know if that's true or not.

Like I said, I'm not very mechanically inclined and I don't want to be ripped off.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Have you some local shade-tree mechanic who would be willing to just take a quick peek?
The cable attaches to the tranny drive gear and is easily released. From there it passes thru the firewall to the back of the cluster.

The crash pad at the driver's knees can be easily removed with a few screws to get access to the back of the cluster.

The cable passes thru a rubber grommet in the firewall (keeps the water out) and working the cable thru there can be a pain. Otherwise, it's fairly straightforward.

Jim

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts