Hyundai Forums banner

Speedometer not working, but no engine fault code

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Doggy B 
#1 ·
Model 2008 Hyundai Sonata V6 GLS

My sonata speedometer stopped working and is stuck at zero. I tried to swap the gauge cluster, but it made no difference. Surprisingly the ODB2 adapter app on my phone does display the speed correctly. Also the Cruise control works fine too. I read that the cruise control uses the same VSS sensor that the speedometer uses for speed display. Apparently the VSS sensor is working correctly. Tried hard reset, but it did not help either.

I am clueless on what's wrong. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
I read that the cruise control uses the same VSS sensor that the speedometer uses for speed display.
That's true on some models but I don't think that's the case on your car. If it was your cruise control wouldn't be working.

What I'd suggest you do is switch the ignition on (engine off) and put the gearbox into reverse and check that your reverse lights on the back of the car are working. If the reverse lights work OK, you'll need to locate the VSS (usually mounted on top of the gearbox near the engine bay bulkhead) and check it's wiring with a voltmeter to determine if the sensor is faulty or if there is a wiring problem.

Regards.
Scott.

#9 ·
the VSS is at the bottom towards the back of the transmission, and the airbox does need to be moved a little to batter access and see to it...once you see it, you may not need to remove the air-box and slither your way through next time trying to get to the wires of the VSS at least.....:|i have the same exact issue as well, still trying to find the problem....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.