Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody been able to do a calibration on the spedo yet? Since I bought my car I haven't gone past any of those free-standing radar carts. You know what I'm talking about, those ones that flash your speed at you. Like this one:

I know my Camry was about 2 MPH off at 30. Just wondering how accurate the Sonata is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Checked mine yesterday with a GPS. Speedo showed 74.6mph, was actually 73.3 so about 1.3 mph slower than showing, but remember, this is me guessing that it was right on 120km/hr (Canadian car), so it's pretty close.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I checked my speed with a GPS unit and was showing about 1 mile faster than the GPS. It is very acceptable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ May 10 2010, 07:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321562
Anybody been able to do a calibration on the spedo yet? Since I bought my car I haven't gone past any of those free-standing radar carts. You know what I'm talking about, those ones that flash your speed at you. Like this one:

I know my Camry was about 2 MPH off at 30. Just wondering how accurate the Sonata is.
I never drove by it alone. There always was a car before me or after me. So I had no idea what number was me. :grin:
I would not be surprised if my speedo is about 2 MPH slower than actual.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Best is to use a GPS to calibrate your speedo, or a Tachymeter if you can find a standard mile. I have found that most cars over-read a tad (preferred in countries where authorities have a zero tolerance for speeding)

That raises a question - does the Nav system show actual GPS measured speed. (like my TomTom)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My speedometer reads 2 mph higher than actual, as verified with a Garmin Nuvi GPS. It should vary somewhat from GLS, to SE, to Limited, based on the overall diamater of each cars respective 16", 17", and 18" tires. I would guess it was calibrated to the GLS 16" tires, as that's the most popular (highest volume) model.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (WmTKing @ May 10 2010, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321621
My speedometer reads 2 mph higher than actual, as verified with a Garmin Nuvi GPS. It should vary somewhat from GLS, to SE, to Limited, based on the overall diamater of each cars respective 16", 17", and 18" tires. I would guess it was calibrated to the GLS 16" tires, as that's the most popular (highest volume) model.
So they calibrate the Sonata Speedometer to the GLS 16" Tire :whistling:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 10 2010, 11:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321630
So they calibrate the Sonata Speedometer to the GLS 16" Tire :whistling:
A larger wheel size does not mean the overall diameter of the wheel tire combo is larger. In fact, when I calculated it earlier the SE was actually smaller than the Limited.

EDIT:

OK, I did the calc for the GLS too. It's the largest of the 3 tire sizes.

Code:
Make       Overall Diameter in inches
 GLS                         26.49
 Limited                     26.31
 SE                          25.97

·
Registered
123 Posts
i'm reading about 2mph over compared to my garmin GPS. reading 70 on the dial, 68 on the gps. i'd really like to get it dialed into the car...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts