Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to fix up our 2001 Trajet 2.7 V6 and one of the issues is that the speedo has stopped working.

Can anyone tell me where the speed signal is picked up from? is it a cable or off the ABS or something else?

many thanks..

regards

Frank

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
G'day Frank. My guess and that's what it is is there is a speed sensor fitted to the output of the trasnmission and is a hall effect unit. They are supplied with a voltage and earth and have an output signal. 3 wires. Hope I am of assistance.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
18,639 Posts
The speed sensor is usually right at the back of the gearbox where, above where the driveshafts exit the box.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird... I have the manual here, and it references a hall effect speedo..
but it also references a cable so I don't know what to think... on page BE 42 (body electrical) it says:
"Pointer vibration can be caused by a loose or dry speedometer cable."

but on BE 3 under general it says:
Speedometer
Type 0 Cross coil type.
Input spec. 0 Hall IC type: 4 pulses/rev.

So it's a hall effect with a speedo cable? that seems pointless...

Might have to pull the cluster out and take a look.

The speed sensor is usually right at the back of the gearbox where, above where the driveshafts exit the box.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
18,639 Posts
So it's a hall effect with a speedo cable?
No. It's hall effect without a cable.

Might have to pull the cluster out and take a look.
Why would you want to do that when you have the body electrical manual? Why not just look up the instrument cluster section of the manual. There will be a picture there showing you the back of the cluster. I'm sure you'll see that there is no connection for a speedo cable.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Funny thing actually. F4Axx trannys - since they orginate from the mid 80s - are actually designed to accept a mechanical speedo drive cable. But in fact this has been substituted by a pulse generator since about the early 90s.
Defo there is no cable on the Trajet, just wiring.

Frank - have you seen Mazen57's presentation of it ? I believe he owns a 2.0I4 engined car but it's quite similar in terms of tranny & speedo.
Vehicle speed sensor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts