Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at many different posts I am yet to find my problem mentioned. My 2002 XG350L 5sp automatic speedo jumps around. Seems to stay steady at slower speeds but stops working all together past about 25MPH. Any thoughts? I am wondering if it is run by a cable and tranny gear (mechanical) or if it it run by electronic sensors off tranny or at the wheels? Where would I find the sensors and any help on best way to check and replace? Thanx for any help as I am new to this car.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
The speed sensor is usually mounted on top of the gearbox right back at the engine bay bulkhead. It's an electromechanical sensor with a mechanical plastic drive gear inside the gearbox and an electric pulse generator. It's not unheard of for the plastic gear to get stripped/damaged which could cause the output signal to become erratic.

This is a 4 speed box but I'm sure you're 5 speed will be similar.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speed sensor is usually mounted on top of the gearbox right back at the engine bay bulkhead. It's an electromechanical sensor with a mechanical plastic drive gear inside the gearbox and an electric pulse generator. It's not unheard of for the plastic gear to get stripped/damaged which could cause the output signal to become erratic.

This is a 4 speed box but I'm sure you're 5 speed will be similar.....
View attachment 441186
Thank you very much AUTOSPARK. I just acquired this car and I appreciate your quick response. So is it back at the firewall just above the starter? Is the gearing determined by tire size? or by transmission? or other? As I am trying to keep this reasonable price wise, what (besides Hyundai factory) is your choice for the best OEM spec. parts house available to US market?

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
It's back at the firewall, but I have no idea where the starter is.
I have no idea what determines the gearing.
And I usually just buy parts from the local dealership because it's really the only way to guarantee your getting a genuine OEM part, and they very seldom supply an incorrect part. That's worth the extra cost to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I usually just buy parts from the local dealership because it's really the only way to guarantee your getting a genuine OEM part, and they very seldom supply an incorrect part. That's worth the extra cost to me.
Thank you AUTOSPARK

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The picture you posted looks good. Is there a source for Hyundai specific pictures like that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your name suggests. Are you an Automotive Sparky by trade? (auto electrician) Thanx for the input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Autospark or anyone with knowledge of this problem. Now that I have this car (2002 XG350L) on the road I have noticed a little more with the speedo. It seems to work just fine for the first twenty mins. (not every time). The speedo works great but then just drops to zero and when it drops the odometer does not work and if in cruise control it shuts off. As soon as it jumps back up to register speed the odometer starts working and as long as I am at high enough speed (35MPH) I have to reset cruise and everything works fine. The other night it worked fine for an hour on the Interstate and then intermittently for an hour. I would think if it was a stripped gear it would hit the missed tooth and do nothing but since it involves speedo, odo, and cruise would that suggest an electrical problem? I am not much with auto electric but if anyone has had this problem and has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. TIA for any suggestions. Getting tired of using my phone for my speedo/odo and cruise control helps me keep my speed in check.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not really. All that tells us is there is no output from the speed sensor. The reason for no output could be mechanical or electrical.
Thanx Bud, Thanx for your quick response. Can you give any direction where to start or where would you start and have you heard others with the same or like problem? I have searched around here with no success. I thought maybe it might be common on other models. Thanx for any help and your quick response. Also do you know what is the main difference between Delta & Sigma engine?

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
With a jumping speedo I would start with checking that the sensor's plastic drive gear wasn't damaged. If that checks out OK then your looking for an electrical fault. If that's the case a few voltage measurements should tell you what the problem is. How difficult that is will depend on how difficult it is to get at the sensor's harness connector.

As for the engines, Wikipedia will be a better source of info than me. If I remember right the sigma engines were actually Mitsubishi designed engines and the later Delta engines were Hyundai's own creations. Other than that I've no idea what the differences are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts