Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Looking for some advise on a 2005 Tucson Speedo and odometer not working. Changed the transmission output sensor and the vehicle speed sensor with no luck. I have a scan tool that will show me the speed while driving but I still cannot get the Speedo or odometer to work. Checked all connections in the passenger side kick panel as well. Could it be the cluster causing both not to work?

·
Registered
13,366 Posts
Changed the transmission output sensor and the vehicle speed sensor with no luck.
Did you check the vehicle speed sensor wiring? Does it have a good 12V supply and ground? Is there any voltage on the signal wire?

Jscerba said:
Could it be the cluster causing both not to work?
It's possible but not very likely, IMO.
You might be able to test the cluster by attaching a length of wire to the speed signal terminal on the OBD connector (see below) then touching the other end of the wire repeatedly to ground to simulate the speed sensor signal pulses. The speedo should react to your simulated signal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check the vehicle speed sensor wiring? Does it have a good 12V supply and ground? Is there any voltage on the signal wire?

It's possible but not very likely, IMO.
You might be able to test the cluster by attaching a length of wire to the speed signal terminal on the OBD connector (see below) then touching the other end of the wire repeatedly to ground to simulate the speed sensor signal pulses. The speedo should react to your simulated signal.

View attachment 441746 Thank you. Going to try that shortly. Would my scanner tool give me the proper output of speed if the wiring to the speed sensor was bad still?

·
Registered
13,366 Posts
Would my scanner tool give me the proper output of speed if the wiring to the speed sensor was bad still?
Yes, because the speed displayed on the scan tool comes from a different speed sensor from the one that drives the speedo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delay. I was able to use the wire from pin 3 to ground and the Speedo does bounce so that means the cluster is good right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay. I got frustrated and took it to the shop. They said it was the cluster even with all the testing I did. Ordered one on eBay with matching part numbers and still no Speedo or odometer. Does anyone have a wire omg diagram for the vehicle speed sensor for me to check all the wiring as I’m guessing the shop didn’t go that far. Thank You in advance!

·
Registered
13,366 Posts
They said it was the cluster even with all the testing I did.
WHAT!!
You've got to be kiddin' me. How can they say it's the cluster when it is so simple to rule that out. I hope you just laughed at them and walked away without paying.

Jscerba said:
Ordered one on eBay with matching part numbers and still no Speedo or odometer.
Well, no surprise there then.
But why did you do that when we already proved it wasn't the cluster? Did you think the grease monkey mechanic was going to know more about it that an AUTOSPARK 😆

Jscerba said:
Does anyone have a wire omg diagram for the vehicle speed sensor
Yeah, I'm sure I'll have one. I'll post it later when I fire up my diagnostic machine.

Jscerba said:
I’m guessing the shop didn’t go that far.
Obviously not. I wish folk would pay me for doing nothing.

·
Registered
13,366 Posts
Power supply from fuse 33 is an Orange wire, the ground is Black, output signal wire is Gray/Orange.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AUTOSPARK - You are awesome - Thank you for the diagrams and all the assistance - Truly appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts