Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a quest to disable this eternally infuriating feature once and for all and have finally narrowed it down to the relay under the hood. I'm fairly certain that a wire from the speed sensor runs up into this relay and causes a change in resistance, causing the wipers to speed up or slow down as the vehicle does so. Could anybody who has a Santa Fe without this feature take a picture of the relay's prongs and the socket into which it fits? The relay is in the under-hood fuse box, at the bottom left.

If you can help me defeat this useless and irritating feature, I would be eternally grateful!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi , I thought that the wiper sensor was photo sensitive and was activated by the amount of water on the windsheild that distorts the light being absorbed by the sensor causing it to up the wiper cycle. I noticed that during heavy down-pour the wipers went faster even when I was at a stop light. Wish I could help you but my santa has this feature, have you tried unhooking the sensor and replacing it with a cap. This is the sensor right beside the auto light sensor in the middle of the dash near the windsheild. I have noticed that the Canadian models are different in many ways from the US models so this might not be a helpfull reply. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can tell you that the '04 GLS sold in Australia doesn't have speed sensing wipers or auto headlights. Beats me why they wouldn't have it on all SantaFe's regardless of which country they were heading to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know , this baffles me especially for the north american market . Over time I have noted that the Santa fe models differ quite a bit in options and trims between Canada and US, even the price of parts is usually two to three times higher up here. When I asked Hyundai Canada why the same auto part is soo much more expensive than in the states they said that Canada was a much smaller market and it justified the higher price. Anyway we are getting off topic, does your santa fe have two little caps on top of the dash near the windsheild to add these features or are they not there for Austrailian models?

·
1,914 Posts
QUOTE (peter9505 @ Jun 22 2010, 03:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335282
Hi , I thought that the wiper sensor was photo sensitive and was activated by the amount of water on the windsheild that distorts the light being absorbed by the sensor causing it to up the wiper cycle. I noticed that during heavy down-pour the wipers went faster even when I was at a stop light. Wish I could help you but my santa has this feature, have you tried unhooking the sensor and replacing it with a cap. This is the sensor right beside the auto light sensor in the middle of the dash near the windsheild. I have noticed that the Canadian models are different in many ways from the US models so this might not be a helpfull reply. Good luck.

Those are rain sensing wipers. Speed sensing wipers go up by speed. My mom's Sonata has it too and I hate it. I believe when you have it on the highest setting and you hit 20 mph, it goes to the lo mode. Have it in the second highest position and around 40-45, it does the same thing but you can flip it once and it will stop that. It's very annoying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts