Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone upgrade just their speakers, not adding an amp or changing the heat unit out? If so how does it compare to the factory speakers? Minor difference or a big difference? I have a couple gift cards to a store i don't normally shop at but the so have a small selection of car audio speakers and I was debating picking up 2 pairs of say 3 way speakers.

I was thinking a component system would be a bad idea since I do not plan on amping them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It really depends how loud you listen to your music or if you really sit and listen to it. Alpine are good speakers and are ok priced. They do make a difference though. Stock speakers are alright though if your not big on having your music too loud ;)

·
22,792 Posts
The sedan guys are working sound miracles over on our side. They have been at it since the 2011's were introduced. And this is not their first rodeo with component installs. Lots of info for you to check out. Some get great improvement with a simple speaker swap. Others go "over the top." And that's okay, too. Feel free to borrow some ideas. And help is just a post away.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The store I have my gift certificate to sells more of the middle class brands such as Sony, Kicker, and Pioneer. I was leaning more towards Pioneer as I have that brands subwoofer in my car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The store I have my gift certificate to sells more of the middle class brands such as Sony, Kicker, and Pioneer. I was leaning more towards Pioneer as I have that brands subwoofer in my car.
Hertz components up front

Hertz coaxial in the rear

8inch JL Audio Micro Sub in the back

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hertz components up front

Hertz coaxial in the rear

8inch JL Audio Micro Sub in the back
To rich for my blood haha! I have a $100 sub and a $40 amp and I have more bass than I know what do with, just hoping some better speakers running of the factory head unit can get me a little better mids/highs...

I am debating a comp system up front but worried it will only make things worse by it not running off an amp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To rich for my blood haha! I have a $100 sub and a $40 amp and I have more bass than I know what do with, just hoping some better speakers running of the factory head unit can get me a little better mids/highs...

I am debating a comp system up front but worried it will only make things worse by it not running off an amp.
haha yea, I did spend a little more than I wanted to, but I'm definitely happy I did. The Hertz components I have sounded pretty great before I had the amp and sub installed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i now have a full blow upgrade in my car, but i did speakers first with no amp.

I would say that the GT speakers sound decent at low to mid volume levels. Better than decent actually.

But if you have money burning a hole in your pocket its super easy to install a new set of speakers. Its an improvement for sure...but don't expect a giant improvement.

My first upgrade was with a pair of MB Quart comps...about $200 and the bump in quality went from maybe a 7 to an 8 in terms of SQ.

Then i went to some HAY imagine comps..about $300...and it went up another 1/2 a tick.

i read all the time people dropping in $90 infinity comps and claim they reached nirvana...i would be cautions with those types of expectations.

·
Registered
537 Posts

The amp in the GT is pretty strong...don't be afraid of running comps off it. You have somps in there now. 6 1/2 mid in the door running full range, and a tweeter in the sail panel with a small cap in line.

·
22,792 Posts
The Infinity's are a big hit. Seems Crutchfield Electronics had the answers to many questions our guys raised. And their pricing was better, or at least competitive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You won't get that much improved quality without adding an amp as well. The speakers will still only get the 15 or so RMS that the head unit puts out. I just upgraded my speakers with a set of image dynamics ctx65cs and a JX360/4 amplifier. I also highly suggest going with components versus coax speakers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What are the Specs for the Tech package amp? I am definately installing Infinity Kappa components speakers but like to know if the GT amp is powerful enough to push them along with a JL sub with its own amp of course.

Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No doubt a full component set if superior over coax speakers under the right conditions. But how does un-amped components compare to un-amped coax?

I was reading on a audio forum that unless you plan on amping the components you may end up with worth SQ when compared to un-amped coax. And that if never plan on amping your speakers save your money and go with coax.

·
Registered
537 Posts
No doubt a full component set if superior over coax speakers under the right conditions. But how does un-amped components compare to un-amped coax?

I was reading on a audio forum that unless you plan on amping the components you may end up with worth SQ when compared to un-amped coax. And that if never plan on amping your speakers save your money and go with coax.
it has nothing to do with coax vs comps....it has to do with power handling of the speaker. If either the comp or the coax wants 150 watts RMS then the factory amp is not going to work very well.

The GT nav package amp is decent. i ran several sets of comps with it before upgrade to an amp, with no problems. Yes adding an amp is better...but not at moderate levels...not till you get on it a little do you start to appreciate an external amp.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sure the work is done on this one...but for the money, the Hertz Dieci seperates in the front really put a nicer sound in the car for just speakers (no amp) on stock basic sound system. Just FYI for anyone doing research. Will post pictures in a few days (Cant post links for first week).

Roman

·
Registered
252 Posts
6.5" in all four doors, with tweeters in the front door sail panel thingy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have infinitis all around 6502cs primus series up front and 6032si in the back doors the sound is great they have plenty of bass the factory amp has plenty of power

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where did you find an amp in Elantra GT? I have GT'13 with style and tech packages and don't have an amp. Went to the dealer to replace stock speakers with Infinity 6032c and they are sound very close to the stock ones, no bass at all even with it max out in the settings..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts