Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've decided on how to proceed with my Sonata sound system.

I need to know how large a speaker I can get in the front door.

I need to know this measurement

(this is NOT my door panel or I would have measured it)

I have already purchased my JL Audio Cleansweep and my Kenwwood Excelon X450-4 amp.

I have not yet selected speakers.

·
Registered
418 Posts
With that cleansweep you will have a flat EQ, you may or may not like flat. Have any EQ capability after the cleansweep signal?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Cleansweep will correct the factory signal and yes you can still use you bass and treble controls on your radio.

I've seen a lot of people use LOC and an amp. There is a saying among many installers, "trash in, trash out". The LOC is either a cap coupled device or it uses an inductor to modify the signal. Either way, the signal has actually been made worse.

I have installed a few Cleansweeps and they do work well.

I just need to know how large a speaker I can get in the door. I saw an install on youtube, where the person cut up the factory speaker, used it as an adapter and attached a 6.5 inch speaker to it and then reinstalled it

I suspect that the opening is at least 6-inches. If thats the case, a 7-inch speaker will fit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want to say this, I've installed custom sound systems for over 12 years

Just a small collage of my work

I have 25 trophies (I know there are only 22 in the picture).

I don't install anymore, 6 years ago at age 48, I decided to put my degree in mathematics to use.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I put a Dayton Audio reference 7 in there with no modding..and honestly, the door panel comes off in less than 2 mins to check if you need to measure it and Im 45 yrs old. I would dampen the door skin and the door panel really good as they are both on the thin side as anything below about 90hz with some power really starts to rattle the doors. And honestly the opening isn't going to be the prob, it will be the door panel itself. I could've got an 8 inch reference in there but the way the door panel is formed I couldn't get the frame in without modding the panel itself. Which isn't hard, but more than I wanted to do for this install. I think the speaker being destroyed for an adapter is a waste. A pencil, scrap piece of MDF and a router will make a nice mounting ring..but it isn't needed. But, its your car.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I put a Dayton Audio reference 7 in there with no modding..and honestly, the door panel comes off in less than 2 mins to check if you need to measure it and Im 45 yrs old. I would dampen the door skin and the door panel really good as they are both on the thin side as anything below about 90hz with some power really starts to rattle the doors. And honestly the opening isn't going to be the prob, it will be the door panel itself. I could've got an 8 inch reference in there but the way the door panel is formed I couldn't get the frame in without modding the panel itself. Which isn't hard, but more than I wanted to do for this install. I think the speaker being destroyed for an adapter is a waste. A pencil, scrap piece of MDF and a router will make a nice mounting ring..but it isn't needed. But, its your car.
Thank you for the information and the advice, I'll add dynomat to my list of things I need to buy.

I will take off the door panel during Spring Break (I'm a teacher now) look at a few things and do more planning. I have yet to decide on speakers but I have time

This will be my Summer Project.

Again Thanks

Yes, you are correct. I was misinformed. I just checked out the JL video which explains it...
We learn by asking questions and doing research. :D

I will use the radios volume control instead of the one that comes with the Cleansweep, I know that performance will degrade slightly, but the performance WILL be 100% better than if an LOC is used.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think I've decided on how to proceed with my Sonata sound system.

I need to know how large a speaker I can get in the front door.

I need to know this measurement

(this is NOT my door panel or I would have measured it)

I have already purchased my JL Audio Cleansweep and my Kenwwood Excelon X450-4 amp.

I have not yet selected speakers.
Opening is 6"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts